SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_468181136

What caused this butterfly's death?

HU-468181136
3 years ago

It's been an unusually cold week in Florida (dropping to the 40s at night). We have several milkweed plants in our yard and right now there are about 5 monarch chrysalises outside. One emerged yesterday with no problems. Another one had turned dark and you could see the wings inside, but the top of it was still greenish so we figured it was going to wait until tomorrow. We checked on it a few times throughout the day and didn't notice any changes.

Then right before the sun went down, we found only the rounded top of the chrysalis hanging there. The butterfly was on the ground with crumpled wings, and the rest of the chrysalis was discarded next to it. It was able to grab onto a piece of bark, so we made it a temporary shelter and let it hang upside down, hoping that gravity and time would be able to correct its wings a little bit. But when I checked on it this morning, it was on the ground again. I offered it some food but it doesn't seem interested in eating. It's still alive, but any attempts to get it on its feet or hanging upside down again just result in it flopping over.

Does anyone know what could have caused this? I thought the cold might have damaged it somehow, especially since it put its chrysalis in a spot that was facing away from the morning sun. It could have a parasite like OE that made it too weak to hang on when it emerged, but I don't know about that because it didn't look like it fell from being too weak--it just looked like the chrysalis ripped apart and left it with nothing to hang on to. Or maybe the specific milkweed plant it ate as a caterpillar, which was a new addition to our garden a couple weeks ago, was treated with pesticides before I bought it. There are so many factors that could have killed this little butterfly that I don't know what I should do to prevent it in the future, if there's even anything I CAN do at all.

Comments (2)

Sponsored