SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_67376161

New to Clematis - Group 3 for 6 foot fence recommendation?

User
3 years ago

I'm relatively new to gardening, brand new to clematis, and looking for advice on a good one to take advantage of vertical space.

I have a 20' wide back patio edged with a 6' tall wood privacy fence. The former owners left 3' wide planting strips along the two parallel long sides of the fence (so one east- and one west-facing). When we moved in there were a few mature Endless Summer Hydrangea in the planting strips; we've since filled in the strips with some additional low perennials in front of the hydrangeas. Still, these hydrangea only grow to at most 3' tall after the heavy flowers flop and so I'd like to take advantage of the vertical space above them.

I'm looking for a perennial but understand woody vines can cause issues with the fence, so I think my best bet is to grow a Group 3 clematis on a trellis of wires strung between the fence posts. But I'm at a loss for what clematis (clematises?) would meet my needs. I'm looking for:

- 6-9 feet tall at maturity, which I think should allow some horizontal spread without it overtaking the fence and flopping over to my neighbors' side

- flowers up and down the vine, or at least flowers starting by 3-4' up

- a long flowering season with deadheading/reasonable maintenance

- a saturated color (purple?) or a white flower, to contrast with the hydrangeas in front that tend toward pastel colors

- will still bloom in partial shade.

I almost bought a few Venosa Violacea, but see reports it can grow up to 12', so I worry it'll be too tall or will flower only at the top?

I'm in the DC area/zone 7b. A few nearby trees leaf out by early June and so for most of the summer the planting trips are getting 4 hours of full sun, 3 hours of bright dappled shade, and moderate shade from the fence the rest of the day (hence the bloom in partial shade ask).

I appreciate any recommendations/tips from more experienced folks!

Comment

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor