SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
perennialfan275

Hellebores have made me rethink what it means to be a sun/shade plant

perennialfan275
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

And ephemerals. In our gardens we have 2 types of plants. We have sun plants, and shade plants, which our placed in different spots depending on how much sun or shade they prefer. But we often forget that sun or shade is different depending on what time of the year it is. In the case of hellebores, I don't know whether I should call them sun or shade plants. Ephemerals are similar to hellebores in the sense that they bloom very early (spring ephemerals at least), but they often disappear completely after they bloom. They bloom very early in the year, before other plants have leafed out and block the sun out (which is probably why they evolved to bloom so early in the first place), but later on in the year they do not get as much sun because bigger plants are hogging all of it. Another thing we often forget is that days are shorter at different times of the year, so a plant in the spring receives a different amount of sun than a plant in the summer. I guess my point of all of this is to try to think of things from a plant's perspective sometimes. Like most other living things, plants have evolved to exploit a particular resource when it is available. The more we understand what out plants need, the better care for them we're able to provide. Just something I've been pondering lately.

After I finished typing this, I realized we do not have an ephemerals forum. I don't know who the appropriate person to ask would be, but would it be possible to (at least consider) add this at some point in the future? I believe these plants are unique enough that they deserve their own forum for discussion.

Comments (10)