SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
wkate640

Elephant Ear questions re planting site and sizes (NC zone 8A)

wkate640
3 years ago

I have a large garden on my property that is never dry, and sometimes if we have rain for several days in a row it's downright gushy. I've been trying various plants in it that supposedly like moist soil for 5 years and most of them don't make it. The soil is clay but has been amended continuously. This garden gets sun in mid-morning and through afternoon, depending on the time of year. So far, Japanese forest grass does very well and a Turtlehead is surviving this year. I have read that EE's like wet soil, so I'd like to try some. I will plant 7 (or maybe I'll start with 3 and see how it goes). The middle one will be the tallest (5' or so would look nice) with the rest getting gradually shorter, and that's one of my questions--can anyone suggest EEs that grow to about 5' and some others that grow to 4' and 3'? My other question is should I buy them already growing in pots this fall, take them out of the pots and plant them in the ground, or leave them in their pots and put those pots in the ground? Oh, also, is fall a good time to plant a growing EE or should I wait until spring and plant them as bulbs?

Comment

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!