SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_276746588

An odd question for those who have sown sweet violet from seed

Sara B.
3 years ago

I live in California, in a Zone 9b, and violets will grow here in the winter very nicely in shade, which I have plenty of.

So, I bought sweet violet (viola odorata) seeds from the UK, from a great, small supplier. They were delivered fresh, and to germinate, they DO have to be quite fresh.

It said to plant as soon as possible, right away, even if the weather was wrong, so I put them into a small container of moist potting soil and covered it to retain moisture. But it is about 85-90 degrees here, and I wasn't quite sure what to do next!

So I put the tray with the dirt into the refrigerator. I don't know if they need light to germinate, but I know they must stratify. I ought to have put them in a soilless mix in a bag, I think, but too late! Online advice was all over the place and sort of assumed that after early September, it would be cold quickly enough I guess.

But it's going to be 80-100 degrees here until late October. So I didn't want the seeds to be any less fresh. At that point, the night temperatures will drop to 40 degrees even if day temperature stays high, and I can put the violets in a cool garage which won't get over likely 50, but which has some sun.

I couldn't find any info if they needed light to germinate either!

Does anyone know: 1.) if I should take them out of the refrigerator OR keep them in there to stratify them, even though they are basically already in soil? 2.) do they need light to germinate? 3.) how can I handle this situation best given my zone and that the seeds need to be fresh?

Thanks! UK Gardeners may know? But the temperature is really wild here and will shift from nearly freezing at night to actually very hot in the day through much of early Fall until late October/early November.

I can also buy more seeds but they took a good month to get here due to customs right now.

Comments (2)