SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ostrich0001

Edmonton tree questions

ostrich
3 years ago

Hi everyone,

After hiding away for the last couple of years while I got myself settled in Edmonton and got my house built, I am now ready to start the landscaping for my new house!!! Finally I am about to re-start my gardening life :-)

Now I am at the fun stage of choosing some trees. I am wondering what your experience is for these trees in the Edmonton area:

1. Prairie Splendor Norway Maple - I saw a thread from 14 years ago, and I am wondering if you can share you latest experience with this tree, after all these years? How has it done? Does it have much winter dieback? How fast does it grow in Edmonton?

2. Autumn Splendor Buckeye - how big does this really get in Edmonton? I am wondering if the buckeyes are a pain to clean up after they drop? What are the main differences between this and the regular Ohio Buckeye really?

3. Red Rocket Maple - I read that this one does quite well in our area, but how big does it really get?

4. Pagoda Dogwood - I would love to have a dogwood tree in my backyard! However, how does it really do in our area and how big does it get really?

5. Japanese Maples - Millcreek sells these Arctic Jade series of Japanese Maples and they look so tempting! However, how do they really do in our area? I don't mind if it stays petite and dwarf but if it simply dies then that would not be a good investment...

I would very much appreciate your feedback! Thank you so much.

Comments (59)