SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
alyssa_vache

A new take on a "terrarium"

Alyssa (Zone 6)
4 years ago

Hi all!

Not sure if this is already a thing, but I'm calling this my "desertarium." My goal was to try to mimic the environment that these plants come from, i.e. sub-Saharan Africa. Currently, it's only inhabitant is a lone Adenium obesum (caudex is about 4.5" wide for reference), but I am waiting on a few others in the mail to be added: one Hoodia gordonii, 3 Titanopsis calcarea, 2 Euphorbia ambovombensis, and one Sarcocaulon vanderietiae. The soil is about 90% gritty mix, and 10% Organic Mechanics cactus mix (one that has always worked very well for me). I raised the soil line with large stones in the bottom of the pot so that it does not stay too wet too long.

I tried to choose plants from generally the same region/climate with the same needs, so please let me know how I did! From what I read on the seller's website, all of the plants I bought need moderate water during their active growth and almost total dryness when dormant. I have only grown Adeniums and Titanopsis before, so the rest are new to me. Tips appreciated!

Comments (13)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting