SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jamiestarlynn

Pungent smell when we open windows.

We recently built a Ryan Home last year in North East, Ohio. The land used to be a field/farm land.

All spring and summer last year, when we’d open the windows, the house would smell terrible. A smell that’s pungent, but not like natural gas, not rotten eggy. The only thing I can explain it smells like is a chalky pink medication we used to take as kids.

The smell ONLY happens when the windows are open. I don’t know how to make it stop. How to determine what it is? If it’s harmful to our health? I thought if it was new construction off-gassing it would be gone already. It happens to be most pungent in our mud room, the front entry which is open to a loft type landing and one bedroom that has the door closed most of the time (if you walk in that room with windows open, it’s overwhelming).

I reached out to Ryan Homes customer service but everyone talks like I am crazy and have not heard anything like it before. It smells so bad. I get so nauseous if I smell it for too long. Can anyone make any suggestions on how I can determine if it’s harmful, I don’t even know who to call to help us.

Thanks in advance.

Comments (21)

Sponsored