SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mary_w95

Self-isolation? Why not, self-propagation?

Mary W.
4 years ago

Hello fellow Houzzers!!

I'm so grateful to say that during this time in my house, gardening has helped me tremendously, as we have all continue to be affected by the pandemic. One gardening project I taught myself was to propagate cuttings, and I have to say, it's addictive.
Propagating plants is an inexpensive and easy way to get new plants from plants you already have. This asexual means of reproduction produces a plant that is genetically identical to its parent. One of the most amazing things about plants is that every cell has the ability to duplicate all parts and functions of the plant. By taking a cutting of a leaf or stem and creating the right conditions, you can create an entirely new plant.
I want to pay forward my success of propagating to my fellow Houzzers, with a super easy plant! The Tradescantia, also known as the "Wandering Jew" and the "inch plant". It's known as the inch plant because all you need is an inch of the stem, and you can stick it in soil or water and get an entire new specimen.

*****If you message or comment me, I will put 3 cuttings in the mail for you at no charge. The cuttings will be of the plant shown, which I made from all cuttings! It started with just 3 cuttings and I kept pruning and propagating, and this is what happened! Let me know if you want to start a new plant for free!!! I want to pay it forward as recently a fellow Houzzer gave me 4 cuttings (for free) of different Hoyas, as I bought some that were lost in the mail.
Let me know if you could use any more tips. I suggest putting them in water, build a root system which literally happens overnight. Once the roots are an inch, stick it in soil (root hormone is optional) and watch it grow. Keep it in moist soil, do not let it sit in water, use a pot with good drainage.

Happy Gardening!!!

Comments (6)