SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
beesneeds

When can I move my overwintered outdoor succulent starts outdoors?

beesneeds
4 years ago

I have a closed porch I've been using for years to overwinter various plants- bulbs, rarer irises and lilies that need coddling, scented geraniums and rosemaries....

Last year I got a nice handful of different outdoor succulents- hens and chicks, seedums, and such. First time for me. I planted most of the parent plants out in my gardens. Made sure to take cuttings and have been overwintering them in my porch. All are healthy I'm happy to say. But I'm not sure when I can start hardening them off outside?

Typically with other plants I've taken my cues from the garden. I can move the coddled stuff outside when I see the outdoor stuff popping up- irises with irises, rosemaries when other herbs are popping. And so on.

Do I wait till the parent outdoor succulents are popping before I can start hardening off the starts like I do with other plants? Some of them are starting to look like they want to wake up, but some of them are still in winter blahs. Since I haven't done outdoor succulents before, I'm not too sure about the parent wake ups outdoors to gauge when I should be starting to take the starts outside.

I do know for sure that these succulents are outdoor ones that are for my growing area.

Comments (8)

Sponsored
Frasure Home Improvements
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Franklin County's Highly Skilled General Contractor