SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
flashpolkadot

ISO Info - Nuvelle Sawgrass Hills Hardwood Flooring

flashpolkadot
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

Does anyone have any feedback or info on Nuvelle - Sawgrass Hills hardwood flooring? I found it at a high-end wood flooring store. It has a relatively good price point. On paper the specs look good. And, it's exactly the look I'm going for (I like the Melrose color). It looks like its sourced out of Riviera Beach FL. But I can't seem to find much information on it at all. If you've got any info on this stuff, please share. Thanks!

Comments (12)

• PRO
    Select Hardwood Floor Co.
    4 years ago

I'm not familiar with it... I guess it all boils down to what you're looking for in relation to your concept of "budget". Not knowing your location, I'd suggest you consider shipping costs (if needed) as well as long term expectations... many of the products on the market nowadays are imports, and not always available at a later date, if an add-on is desired, or repairs needed. Another consideration that many people become aware of (too late) is that the product may look MUCH different than what is viewed in a magazine or on a desktop monitor. I'm sure you're intelligent enough to see an ACTUAL sample of the product, as well as obtaining assurances (more than verbal) that you'll get what you expect. One last tidbit... don't let a few bucks stand between you & getting what you want. Too often, folks find out that the "best price" isn't necessarily the "BEST DEAL".

A quote I like to borrow is:

Oh... by the way, we offer CUSTOM hardwood plank & parquet flooring, made to customer specifications... right here in the USA. Some of our products are right here on Houzz.

• Kathrin Bodenschatz
    2 years ago

Hi Flashpolkadot, I am struggling with the same question. I do not find any specifics on Nuvelle Sawgrass. I do not even know for sure whether it is really engineered hardwood or just laminate. Have you found the answer since you posted?

• Emily Ford
    last year

Any updates? I am also considering Nuvelle in Melrose and cannot find any reviews.

• Bruce Adam
    12 months ago

@Kathrin Bodenschatz - The Sawgrass Hills collection is an engineered product with a 3MM wear layer of oak.

@flashpolkadot - I'm a bit late to this party, but what specific information are you looking for?

• Emily Ford
    12 months ago

@Bruce Adam jumping in here but is the top coat Aluminum Oxide urethane? I am specifically curious to hear from homeowners or installers on the durability, whether they have experienced any splintering, how well it hides or doesn't hide dust, how variable the planks look in color, etc. I ordered a box and I like what we received.

• Bruce Adam
    12 months ago

@Emily Ford The finish is a Treffert High Performance Urethane. No product claims in several years of selling this lineup, so I can at least provide that assurance. They do advertise a "thermal treatment" which is similar to a fumed/smoked reactive stain treatment, so you should expect a color variation as with most European Oak products.

Let me know if I can help out and I'll be happy to do so!

• Emily Ford
    12 months ago

@Bruce Adam thank you! Do you know if the thermal threatment contains any added chemicals?

• Bruce Adam
    12 months ago

The thermal treatment is essentially just heat-treating/carbonization to caramelize the natural sugars that are present in the wood.

• Emily Ford
    11 months ago

@Bruce Adam - I am still going back and forth on this flooring! I have some specific questions and I can't locate an actual Nuvelle contact to ask. We are chemically sensitive so I've been doing a lot of research on flooring toxicity, chemicals, etc.

Is there a way to find out what type of resin holds the ply layers in this product together? Assuming it's a type of formaldehyde, is it urea or phenol? I've read that phenol formaldehyde is quicker to offgas, while urea can stick around for years. I'm also trying to figure out of the urethane top coat is water based or oil based... thank you very much for your insight!

• HU-472316915
    12 days ago

A little late to help you out....but, we installed about 1400 sq ft of the Saw Grass Hills European Oak flooring about 3 years ago at a cost of about $14K. It is absolutely stunning when new. Sun and high traffic areas discolor rather quickly....not much of a concern as that is the nature of real hard wood and compliments the rich patterns. However, very concerned that in such short time....it seems the white/grey coloring wears off in streaks/spots rather randomly but particularly in high traffic areas revealing what looks like dark beige particle board. Very different from the 10 years I enjoyed hand scraped Solid Maple Hardwood in Tennessee....looked brand new the day we moved out. Can't have solid hard wood in Florida without building a subfloor. The Specs are great for a higher end Engineered Hardwood, a bit pricey but not at the very top. Surely I should not expect this after only 3 years?? Fortunately, due the contractor not understanding Math......I ended up with a dozen extra boxes. Non-returnable/refundable of course. But after 3 years in the garage, I am anticipating they are in horrible condition. Pick another product. Insist that shoes are removed at front door and wear socks......try to keep any dirt, foot oils, water/moisture etc from getting on them and you will probably fair better than we did. The internet says Erupean White Oak should last 100 years....well, I hope somebody can swing by in 97 years to document that there is nothing but brown dust left......Just NO!

• Bruce Adam
    11 days ago

@HU-472316915 Yeah, that doesn't sound normal. Do you have any photos that you could include? The finish and ply construction are warrantied - have you reached out to the company that this was purchased from to see if a claim needs to be submitted?

Also, the flooring in the garage should be fine if stored properly.

• Bruce Adam
    11 days ago

@Emily Ford -Notifications didn't come through, sorry for the late reply!

The actual components used in the ply construction aren't likely to be available, but Sawgrass Hills is CARB 2 Compliant for minimal offgassing.

For hardwood plywood, that's a limit of .05ppm (parts per million).