SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cristina_s37

Is it possible to start a cutting garden in this spot?

I am thinking about starting a cutting garden in the backyard but I am not sure it will work given certain parameters.

Recently, neighbors whose property borders ours in the backyard (from an adjacent neighborhood) cut down a very large tree that was sitting between the separation line, along with other trees that provide some level of privacy.

Now there is this large gap left and the spot receives quite a bit of sun now that the large tree with a huge canopy is gone.

We talked with the neighbors about eventually doing some "deforestation" and cutting down all old trees on that separation line and planting new candlestick type trees to make a fence, and splitting the cost. However, it looks like it will be a while until this project will come trough (big one).

So in the meantime, I am looking at this ugly gap and a bad-looking backyard, especially considering the neighbors' is all weeds and it doesn't look like they intend to do anything about it any time soon.

When the company cut down the tree they left a mound of finely ground wood chips in that spot.

Also, the spot is not perfectly leveled, it's a bit ...well, slightly hilly, like a mound.

Based on the info above and the pictures below, do you think it would be a good idea for me to try to start a small cutting garden in this spot?

Would that be a doable DIY project or should I call someone to install a raised bed for me?

Would the ground wood chips be a problem? At face value, I thought that could be a good thing since it is organic matter and it's supposed to enrich the soil, which is hard, red GA clay with tons of roots from the surrounding trees and whatever is left from the newly cut one (aka a nightmare).

Any comments or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Gap left from tree, blue house is neighbors' - in adjacent neighborhood.

Wood chips mound on top of the soil.

Comments (9)

Sponsored