SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_497118759

Honeylocust tour Canadian Prairies 2019

Greg
4 years ago

This summer i had several opportunities to go from Manitoba, ND, SK and Alberta looking for rare and uncommon trees... and honey locusts.
One of the biggest shocks was finding this lovely 25' locust in Dauphin, Manitoba.
I also found nice locusts in Saskatoon, Regina and Medicine Hat.
Sadly, I was disappointed to find so many of the boulevards locusts doing poorly in Edmonton. They seemed much better 3 years ago. Can someone show me some locusts that are doing really well in Edmonton? I would love to see them.
Northern Acclaim is proving to be very hardy... Let's start planting more of them!

Comments (11)

• Greg
    Original Author
    4 years ago

, Manitoba ...

• FrozeBudd_z3/4
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

The Edmonton region has had things VERY tough the last while. Last years unbelievable cold snowy September was something like the worst in 40 years, there was snow on the ground for what a few weeks? THEN, the coldest February in something like 60 years and now this year we've experiencing a non summer, literally the sun has been obscured by a thick grey blanket of clouds (or at least partially cloudy) for like 70% of possible sunshine hours! This IS easily the worst summer I have ever experienced and a lot of folks certainly agree! Near perpetual low pressure systems have developed west to east through central Alberta and down to Red Deer, while more northern regions haven't had things quite as bad and southern Alberta (espeically SE) has experienced a hot dry summer. The Honey locust are having a hard time coping with what has been dished out in Edmonton, a lot of folks are tired of the weather as well !!

• brothergarm
    4 years ago

I just came back to Ontario from Calgary today, and I was surprised at how much die back there was on the boulevard trees in downtown Calgary. Also quite a bit on the Canyon Meadows Golf and Country Club. It makes sense if you say that there has been a couple rough winters.

• Plant Love
    4 years ago

There are nice ones in Edmonton. The boulevard and park ones seem quite neglected by the city so I’m not surprised when certain areas fail. There are a couple in front of Ronald McDonald house.

On 99st North of whyte at about 85ave there are two very fast growing ones. Down 99st there are multiple planted on yards.

There was a couple massive ones on 76ave till somebody ran one over and the city removed 5 of them because they put in bike lanes. What a waste. I hate how the city does business. Move them somewhere nice. They were probably 3 inch caliper.

The spots where they do the worst, are areas where they get no water like hawreluk park. Same goes for autumn blaze maples. Many do perfectly fine and others can’t handle any winter without dying back. It’s the same genetics so either soil composition, salt or water must be doing it.

• Plant Love
    4 years ago

• Plant Love
    4 years ago

If you think there are failing ones, you are right. That being said, these are all shademaster honeylocust. Many of them have no problem with the cold. Therefore it must have to do with other factors that are weakening them.

For borderline trees, you can't expect them all to survive when the city doesn't take care of them. If these were on front yards, they would be fine if taken care of.

• Plant Love
    4 years ago

capilano park honeylocusts leafing out in june last year after worst feb in 40 years.

• Emily Snyder
    2 years ago

Anyone know where to buy a honey locust in Saskatchewan?

• Addison in VT z4a
    last year

Emily Snyder if you still haven't found one by now then you might just grow one inside over 2022-2023... Make sure to get "inermis" if you don't want thorns.

• lookintomyeyes83
    9 months ago

Falk's nursery is actually giving away a free honey locust to their email customers this year as a means of finding the hardiest honey locust!

Sponsored
Creating Thoughtful, Livable Spaces For You in Franklin County