SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
shawntiah_jones

Pruning 20+ year-old blueberry plants

Shawntiah Jones
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

So, I have 3 blueberry bushes on our property that are at least 20 years old. I didn’t notice them until about 8 years ago and when I discovered them I just left them alone and allowed the birds to eat the fruit. I have no clue what type they are. Sometimes I would get a few blueberries for myself, but other than that I figured it was best to leave them alone.

Last year I got into gardening and learned about the benefits of pruning. So, this year I decided to try and figure out how to get them to produce a lot more blueberries. I pruned them a little bit and removed the dead and diseased looking branches, put down some elemental sulfur and gave them a little bit of Miracle-gro miracid and mulched with leaves and pine straw from the backyard. They do produce a decent yield already, but I’m trying to figure out how to properly prune them to get a better yield. I’m not sure which canes should go and which should stay. I looked online, but I’m still confused about blueberry pruning for such old bushes.

I live in zone 8A in central Mississippi.

Comments (9)