SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mizcairo

What evergreen flowering climber to plant?

Cairo J
5 years ago

I live in 8a -8b zone. I'm looking to add some beauty to my world . I have this boring wall alongside my front walkway which leads to front door. This Walla can be seen by anyone driving up the street and would like to make a beautiful colorful statement on it. I at first was thinking of planting double shot Carolina Jessamine , they thrive here in South Carolina. I am not worried they will be to thick and shrubby for such a small spot. The depth of land only goes back a foot and few inches. the space really comes from the free vertical space . I would prefer an Evergreen climber since it is such a high traffic and highly visible spot. I would hate to have raggedy bare vines many months of the year. Flowers ( preferably reblooming and long season ) and something that smells divine. I am a sucker for highly fragrant flowers. I have a Lavender Crush rose climber just started right around the corner alongside the garage door. Thanks for any help ! Oh it gets a good amount of sun 6+ hours, mostly direct.

Comments (43)

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    5 years ago

You say you "are not worried" about the lack of depth to the space, but I can tell you really have no idea about the thickness that a vine will develop. First, are you expecting to use the garage wall as the support, where the vine grows directly on it? If so that's not a good idea as it will work to destroy the wall over time. Do you expect to install a trellis for the vine to grow on? That's got to be placed away from the wall at least a couple of feet, and preferably farther, or the vine is still going to get all over the wall. Even at 2' away, it would be a constant chore keeping the back of the vine trimmed off of the wall. A trellis really needs to be where you currently have a walk. Only a redesign of the walk can properly address this area. As it is now, you'd be better off finding some non-harmful outdoor art to place on the wall.

• Cairo J
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    I do appreciate your response. I didn't mean I wasn't worried about the depth or lack there of. I must have mistyped, I AM worried about lack of depth. I was intending to put a trellis or something for it to climb. the spot with the climbing Rose has more room for sure and I did install a trellis with brackets for support. you've given me things to think about. First time home owner and I'm just having fun with it :)
  • Related Discussions

Evergreen Old Red rose climbers and others.

Q

Comments (5)
    Luxrosa, I bought "Noella Nabonnand" from Ashdown. When it did not rebloom for two years, I went looking to see what rose I could actually have. That's when I found Marie, but she is supposed to rebloom. I'm sure mine was Marie. She matched the description in the Noella/Marie discussions on HMF. I just can't figure why she never bloomed again after her first flush for two years. I don't have her anymore, sad to say. I loved the blooms. They were really breathtaking. She wasn't stiff like other climbing HT's I've had but fairly flexible and slender. Assuming she reblooms, I would choose her especially after seeing Connie's blog pics. Sherry Here is a link that might be useful: If only sweat were irrigation...
    ...See More

WANTED: evergreen wall climber

Q

Comments (3)
    don't do ivy! please! there are so many great vines you can do, especially if you have mixed conditions. i don't send plants in the mail anymore, but some nice native selections would be sweet autumn clematis (sun or shade, semi evergreen), cross vine-bignonia (sun/shade semievergreen), carolina gessamine (sun for best bloom, evergreen) trumpet vine (sun, decid.), smilax (sun or shade & evergreen), clematis viorna (sun, decid.), coral honeysuckle (sun, decid.), and dutchman's pipe-aristolochia (shade or sun, decid.). some non natives would be climbing hydrangea, silver lace vine, climbing fern-lygopodium, and climbing roses. and if you wanted to venture into possible edibles you could try passion flower, aka maypops, artic kiwi, which has very nicely variegated foliage, magnolia vine-schizandra, wineberries, which will fruit in the shade, and grapevines. all of those last 2 groups are deciduous. there are evergreens other than ivy that you could use for screening, with the more interesting things interspersed. i can't think of any more off the top, but am sure someone else will speak up. there are lots of annuals that could fill in faster for you while you waited for your perennials . just don't do ivy, which is an invasive nuisance, or japanese honesuckle, which is just as bad, though it does smell divine. some of the others can be pretty invasive, too, so be careful to maintain it. any vine that grows fast or sets lots of seed has that potential. talk to a local nursery or ck a book out to find more possibilities. you essentially have a great vertical gardening opportunity- have fun with it!
    ...See More

Evergreen fast growing climbers

Q

Comments (5)
    Denise, at the very least, we need to know where you are located to make suggestions. In many areas, the list of evergreen climbers is very short and none come to mind that would rapidly achieve the height you want - at least none that I would recommend with a clear conscience. You might be better off with some narrow evergreen screening but what that might be is determined best by where you live. Fill out your Member Page with at least your climate zone and growing conditions or amend your request with this info. The more we know the better we can help you.
    ...See More

Suggest flowering evergreen for trellis?

Q

Comments (14)
    I'm not sure what the complaints are regarding Clematis armandii or the most common variety of evergreen clematis -- it is extremely widely sold and grown in this area and unless quite poorly sited, is about as hardy as any other evergreen vine one commonly encounters here (listed to 0F or zone 7). It is easily the most widely sold clematis variety in this area and a much more reliable and showy performer than the other evergreen varieties typically available (C. cirrhosa or C. x cartmanii). It is more shade tolerant than most clematis and a northeastern exposure is a good one. It does get to be of significant size but it can be controlled by pruning as soon as possible after the bloom season to keep smaller and as long as in well drained, fertile soil and out of direct winds, it should be fully hardy. I've grown this vine in a couple of different gardens for more than 30 for years without any problems and it is tough to beat for the profusion of blossoms it produces in spring and its pleasing fragrance. No particular pest or disease issues, either. Look for 'Snowdrift' for pure white blossoms and 'Appleblossom' for pale pink.
    ...See More
  • jc_7a_MiddleTN
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Cairo, I'm going to get drilled for having this opinion, but it's the internet, so here it goes:

A lot of folks here are true experts, so take their advice from that perspective. They know the problems you might experience 3-10 years down the road. They realize that certain ideas may be great immediately, but will bring frustration/disappointment later on. They can see the big picture.

Having said that, they also are more likely to recommend ideal situations and be perfectionists in the garden than someone like me- who enjoys gardening as a secondary hobby and not a passion.

If you want an evergreen flowering vine on the wall, I would figure out which one you want and how to build a trellis to make it work. If after a couple of growing seasons, you find that it's too large or that it's too much work to maintain or that it isn't performing well: get rid of it and try something else.

Unless you insist that there be no risk. If that's the case, you can ignore my entire post.

You might try a taller type or ornamental grass instead of a vine.

I also used Boston Ivy at a previous home because it is self clinging. and easy. Pruning and removal were easy. It would fit in that tight space but doesn't flower.

• Embothrium
    5 years ago

If the siding is of a suitable material screw in eye hooks or loops and run something like nylon lines or treated wire through them so that the wall becomes like a guitar neck. Then choose one or more climbing plants of suitable mature size and structure to fit in the space, when attached to the wires and kept fanned out against the wall with regular pruning and training - for the scheme to work out it is vital to keep up with this last bit. If you are instead more of the plant it and forget it persuasion then you are much more likely to end up with a mess.

The narrowness of the bed can be dealt with by starting with young specimens small enough to fit.

• Cairo J
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Embothrium ,
    what a thoughtful reply ! I do appreciate it. I've been called stubborn a few times in my life so I'm pretty dead set on having fun with this idea and seeing what I can make happen. I'm not worried about risk or messing up because it is a learning process and a labor of love. I really like the idea of the eye holes and creating my own shape or whatever from treated wire, I can see getting creative with it. I do hear you about the professionals and o appreciate their advice as well, I myself am full of whimsy and approach gardening as such . Do you know of any flowering climbers of vines ( evergreen) that have a more vertical and wide spread as opposed to growing " out " as in needing to grow towards the path? I'm not worried about maintenance as I do enjoy spending time pruning , watering , and training vines. Thanks for the positive reply , I was starting to doubt myself:)
  • floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    5 years ago

Houses here don't have siding so I can't comment on that. But growing things on strained wires as Embo suggests is common practice. The whole side wall of my garden and the back of my house have them. I have Clematis, variegated Euonymus, Jasminum beesianum, Cecile Brunner rose, Parthenocissus henryana, Jasminum officinale and Chaenomeles, Trachelospermum jasminoides and Jasminum polyanthum. Several of these are both evergreen and scented. But all need maintenance to keep flat on the wall.

• Embothrium
    5 years ago

Run the wires horizontally from top to bottom of the surface, and all the way across it. And then attach the climbers as needed where they intersect the wires. Train each in a fan shape so you have even coverage, instead of bunching up at the top. The climbing mode is a way to get up into the light in the forest, with many climbing plants still retaining this vertical orientation even when planted where they have good light exposure.

• Christopher CNC
    5 years ago

The wire support system being described can also be used for the espalier of a number of woody plants. Vines are not your only option if you are up for some plant training and bondage. You don't even have to confine yourself to horizontal and vertical lines.

I'm seeing an evergreen pyracantha that has white spring blooms and fat clusters of red to orange berries in the fall until the birds eat them. Pyracantha does have thorns, but you have already planted a rose. What's a little more lost blood.

• PRO
    Dig Doug's Designs
    5 years ago

check this out: Armandii Clematis

• Cairo J
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Christopher C NC , those are beautiful! I. looked up some images and saw quite a bit of inspiration. Many were trained in cool geometric designs . My brain wheels are turning! Training and bondage sound fun . Thanks for the suggestion!
  • Cairo J
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Dig Dug , I have Clematis all over South Carolina and just recently made a mini mailbox garden with some to train up the post. I haven't seen the white ones , I can imagine a wall of them would be a beautiful show stopper.
  • Embothrium
    5 years ago

Evergreen clematis would be a bit much for this planting site.

• Cairo J
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Is this kind of what you were talking about? I know I can do something like this myself . Donyou think the Jessamine would be to heavy and thick for it ? I am not sure why I am so focused on the Jessamine. I was in Arizona before this and really missed the climate East Coast offered. The south has some amazing flowers and the first time I smelled the Jessamine I was head over heels . Or perhaps a passion flower vine ?

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    5 years ago

Clematis armandii is just coming into flower here now. It is a very big, strong growing and jungly sort of Clematis. The OPs site would soon be overwhelmed.

The above photo shows quite a posh wire arrangement. A specific 'kit' isn't necessary. You only need ordinary galvanised fence wire arranged in parallel lines horizontally about a foot or 18 in apart. Fix it with screw-in galvanised eyes if that's possible on your siding. No need for verticals. This kind of arrangement is extremely strong and will be equal to most climbers if it is properly fixed in the first place. Here's one of mine.

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    5 years ago

Things to consider:

Knowing what your siding is will make a difference as to how to best fasten the wires or other trellis. Vinyl or cementatious material like Hardiboard or wood or aluminum? I have also screwed hooks or eyes into the underside of soffits with a one story roof, so taking a look at the If this is a single story roof in this area is also important. What you don’t want to do is create an issue with water seeping in and getting trapped behind the siding.

You will likely want to set up drip irrigation in that spot since your roof overhang will create a rain shadow. Depending on how the walkway drains, it may get runoff from the walkway or it may remain quite dry even when there has been natural rain.

You may not need an evergreen plant there. Consider a deciduous plant on a pretty trellis that you can string with lights in the off season, underplanted with a flowering evergreen groundcover. (Just to expand possibilities since the first idea folks come here with may or may not be the best possible choice.)

If replacing the walk is in the realm of possibility, consider what you might be able to grow there with the walk moved out another foot or 5. The fact that builders even install walks like this drives me nuts.

As others have remarked, you will need to stay on top of this for maintenance, and will want to choose a plant where frequent pruning won’t remove all the flower buds. There is little less appealing that having to brush by damp or sticky or staining plants just to get to someone’s front door.

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    5 years ago

Dig Doug I've just seen the picture you posted, which wasn't showing when I replied about Clematis armandii. The photograph actually shows Trachelospermum jasminoides, not Clematis armandii. The latter is much larger in leaf and flower and much more loose growing

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    5 years ago

Fatshedera does not lend itself to trellising well - much too large and vigorous a plant for that purpose. And does not flower well or in a very attractive presentation either :-) Jasmines, evergreen honeysuckle or the pyracantha (rather under-used plant, IMO) would work better. You can also trellis or espalier winter blooming camellias (Camellia sasanqua) very successfully as well

• Cairo J
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    NHBabs , really great points thank you. I agree , the sidewalk placement is wonky. I am not sure about replacing the walkway, not anytime soon at least . We have a bazillion home projects before that can happen. The siding is vinyl and the rain gutter is to the left. The water doesn't pool it runs across the walkway and down away from the house. The ground does get water and saturated from the gutter spout when it rains but never so much that it is " mushy" and soggy. I appreciate all these answers because most of these I hadn't even considered. I just wanna go in guns blazing I think I need to go to the local botanical gardens perhaps and see in person what many of the options are. The pictures on the internet aren't always a good indicator of the size . I so love the idea of Evergreen ground cover . There is already monkey grass down but that's just kinda boring :)
  • Embothrium
    5 years ago

Yes, the X Fatshedera is another coarse textured plant like the evergreen clematis - just the thing to make what is already a rather limited looking planting site even smaller appearing. And in the above cartoon is is confined to a single vertical section instead of being fanned out to furnish most of the wall space, which would produce a lot more attractive and complete appearance. With instead having part of the planting consist of aspidistra with nothing but blank wall above it the scheme looks haphazard and unfinished.

• jc_7a_MiddleTN
    5 years ago

Tough crowd lol

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    5 years ago

Dig Doug, your design shows very well that it's not necessary to cover the whole side of the building with trellis if the OP doesn't wish it. But it's true that Fatshedera isn't a great choice for growing flat against a wall. I have one against the back of my house. It scrambles through the Parthenocissus henryana. But it's a stiff branched scruffy sort of plant that flops away from the wires. It doesn't climb by itself but also doesn't lend itself to espaliering.

Also your design shows Hellebores in full bloom at the same time as Crape Myrtles, so could perhaps mislead the OP, unless these plants are intended to be schematic representations rather than recommendations.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    5 years ago

That tends to be the problem with computer generated mock-ups (or cartoons if you will). They are just unrealistic. The plants are seldom displayed according to their true nature or habit, they are far too uniform and if it blooms at all, it will be showing flowers regardless of the season or timing ;-)

But they look nice so those who are unfamiliar with landscaping or the plants themselves get far too easily swayed by the visuals.

So because they are by nature unrealistic portrayals, 'cartoon' is not far off point!

• Cairo J
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Well I certainly do appreciate the feedback from people. The good thing is I know it is all a work in progress and I have time to research it. I am definitely going to take the advice and do our own trellis, much more control that way. I'm still eyeing Jessamine to see if it can be trained flat and can still flower without long leaves and branches due to heavy pruning
  • gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    5 years ago

Cartoon: n) A cartoon is a type of illustration, sometimes animated, typically in a non-realistic or semi-realistic style; a preparatory design, drawing, or painting (as for a fresco).

• Embothrium
    5 years ago

If you have the climate for the jessamine then that should work fine - as long as you keep up with it.

• Cairo J
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Embothrium, thank you for the answer. Do you know if there are any companion plants that would work with it ? or would it choke the root system? I know less is more so I'm in no hurry .
  • PRO
    Yardvaark
    5 years ago

"First time home owner and I'm just having fun with it :)"

The good news is that if your idea about planting a vine on a trellis at this space doesn't work out perfectly, it is not be a costly or catastrophic outcome. It will be a fun, easily correctable learning experience! For a vine, I would explore large flowered clematis because they are pretty and fun. You could also experiment with moonflower vine or heavenly blue morning glories because they are quick and cheap from seed. Moonflower vine would be something you could get from Ebay.

Cairo J thanked Yardvaark
  • User
    5 years ago

Coral honeysuckles.

does not have a scent but it will bloom most of the year for you. They come in reds and yellows and hummingbirds will thank you.

may need a little pruning but no more than Carolina jessamine which blooms only in the late winter..

have fun with it.

Cairo J thanked User
  • User
    5 years ago

It’s evergreen here in z5.

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    5 years ago

Lonicera sempervirens, the native coral honeysuckle is not evergreen in the northern part of zone 5, but it for sure will be in cairo’s Zone 8. It is a large rambunctious vine and will require a large support structure and careful attention to training and pruning. I have no knowledge of how it compares with Carolina jessamine since I haven’t grown that, but here my L. sempervirens ‘Major Wheeler has red flowers from midMay until hard frost, with the largest flush early in the season but enough flowers to attract hummingbirds all summer until they head south in autumn.

IMO a great plant.

Cairo J thanked NHBabs z4b-5a NH
  • PRO
    Yardvaark
    5 years ago

Personally, I would delete the requirement of "evergreen." It severely limits the choices, and mostly to vines unsuitable, and doesn't seems necessary. Thick, brushy, leafless plants can look nice in the winter.

Cairo J thanked Yardvaark
  • Cairo J
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Yardvaark, you are right. I guess I was thinking how scraggly the Wisteria looks in the winter here. For such a spot on the wall, I would hate for it to look yucky like that. I also guess I didn't realize that Jessamine had such a short blooming season. I think I don't mind trading the evergreen requirement for long blooming season. I have some Camellias that are pretty much blooming all year long ! I do have some Moon Flower seeds and a large variety of Morning Glory seeds that I have recently started inside .

• Cairo J
    Original Author
    5 years ago

A thornless flowering Quince, A large blossomed Camellia , Confederate Jasmine , are just some examples of where my mind is going. I've never been a big fan of honey suckles. I know the Confederate Jasmine is small petals, I prefer the big ones like a Peony though.

So a year ago I was diagnosed with Cervical Cancer at age 34. It sucked. I had the radiation and chemo and it was hard and sad especially for my husband and 3 young kids. While I was sitting in that damm chemo chair I told myself if I got through it, I would add more life and beauty to the world. I felt dead during that time and all I wanted was to bring Life and growth and help heal and cultivate. It took a year for me to feel " normal " after treatment and I am so far still cancer free :) I have thrown myself into landscaping my yard .So this is my motivation for this project. I hope maybe that helps explain what I am trying to go for and why I seem to zeroed in on big flowering things ! I am not as worried about failing a few times, I am more worried about never trying at all!

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    5 years ago

Sorry to hear about your cancer diagnosis & congratulations on prevailing.

If I said moonflower, I meant to say moonflower vine as they are different.

A few years ago I tried what was sold as 'Grandpa Ott' morning glory. The color was OK but I was much disappointed because the flowers were small & it was a nothing special bloomer. It looked like the morning glories that grow wild along the railroad right-of-ways here. Worse, I pulled up seeds of it for the next five years even though plants were never allowed to grow again. The seeds have cockroach-like durability and surviving power. Heavenly blue is all around better.

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    5 years ago

Sounds like you've been through the mill, Cairo. While you're mulling over the options, a row of giant sunflowers might amuse the children and be easier to do this first year. Cheap and cheerful. Are they old enough to sow their own and run a competition? And birds will love the seed heads later.

• Cairo J
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    NHBabz and Floral UK, appreciate your kind words. Thankfully doing great ! I don't know why I didn't think about the Sunflower idea. I love it !! And you are correct, it would give me more time to really plan for the spot. Would Sunflower be perennial here in South Carolina? I lived in Northern Arizona and I definitely saw some that came back every year. I have a few packets of seeds of different kinds , Fire Catcher , Russian Mammoth, and the smaller white ones. There are so many to pick from. This is a fun idea, the kids are three , five and ten but with a little help they could totally do it and it would be fun for them , they love helping me plant . Do you have a favorite sunflower? Any suggestions on a few I could mix together for various colors , texture and size ? I think it could be visually exciting and beautiful. I'm so happy about doing this, thanks!
  • floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    5 years ago

No, there are perennial Helianthus, but I'm talking about the big headed annuals, Helianthus annuus cultivars. The ones you name are annuals. I don't think you need any advice. Sunflowers are fun plants, not high class landscaping. Just let the kids choose what they want and plant plenty. A mixture would look great. They can even eat the seeds at the end of the season as well as giving them to the birds.

Cairo J thanked floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
  • User
    5 years ago

Babs, my coral honeysuckle came with me from SE Texas.

It is a Native on our farm there.

It has been growing here on the side of Mt Taylor about 7,000 ft for more than

20 years. It has always been an evergreen, never once has it lost its

leaves in winter.

Cairo J thanked User
  • User
    5 years ago

It blooms from April till late Nov.

• Emilie Bova
    last year

What about Lady Banks Rose?

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    last year

Lady Banks would be far to vigorous for the space .... not to mention three years too late for the OP .

• Emilie Bova
    last year

Haha! True. I am buying Lady Banks for a metal fence in NC and was just looking at this old discussion.