SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
holly_stockley

Hedgelaying in the US?

Holly Stockley
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

My Google-Fu is failing me.

I would very much like to begin a long term project of adding some traditional hedges to my 10 acre property. I live in Michigan, and the current parcel is woefully overgrown with invasive species, while also harboring a walnut plantation on part of it.

In searching for info, all I can really find seems to be (very nice) videos of restoring ancient hedges, hedgelaying competitions, or discussions of their use in conservations - all in Britain. While this is well and good, I'd love to have some info, should it exist, on doing something similar in my area. What species should I use, and where can I get them (can you lay a hedge with river birch? I have a lot of that!)? How and what do you plant for a new hedge? How do I time maintenance in this climate? (January is not practical - I'd have to shovel the hedge out from under 2 foot of snow).

Does anyone know of any seminars - without flying to Britain - or classes? Books? Videos? Blogs? Resources for the right tree and shrub starts?

My eventual goal would be to have a hedge that, ideally, can A. keep sheep contained, B. provide coppice fuel for a Swedish Tile stove (they mostly burn small pieces of wood and brush), and C. possibly be a source of fruit and nuts for us while also sheltering wildlife. I'm going to make a lot of birds and critters homeless in the act of rooting out the autumn olives, honeysuckle, and multiflora rose infesting the place.

Thoughts, advice, or suggestions?

Comments (28)