SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
grovegreenguy

Canna 'Capricornia'

FrozeBudd_z3/4
6 years ago

I don't know if this one has made it's way to North America, though I sure hope it does, the photo and description sounds quite amazing! I love the color and the thing is an apparent total bloom machine!

'Capricornia' (syn. Souvenir d'Aza Gray?)

Comments (9)

• Nicole_GA
    6 years ago

Looks gorgeous! I haven't seen it for sale anywhere in the usual sources. If anyone sees it let us know. Also, have you seen the tiger series Brians Botanicals is offering?

http://briansbotanicals.us/index.php/plant-catalog/cannas/canna-tiger-series

• FrozeBudd_z3/4
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Nicole, I believe 'Capricornia' is possibly still only available in Australia and New Zealand, and NEEEDS to make the leap over to North America! Bringing this cultivar to the attention of major nurseries that operate world wide might be a way to go about doing so. As for Brian's Botanicals, he sure does have an impressive listing!

Dorion, I think the yellow blooms seen are another variety trying to sneak in.

• L Clark (zone 4 WY)
    3 years ago

@FrozeBudd_z3/4 do you grow canna? can you talk about your process for doing so? And your results. Is it ”worth” it to start them indoors and go through all the trouble for someone with an extremely short growing season like me... and you iirc.

I was in Hawaii recently and fell in love with them.

I do have a greenhouse now, or cold frame if one wants to be technical, whatever.

Thanks in advance if you happen to see this.

• Dorion Fields
    3 years ago

Yes it's worth it...just as any other plant that's sensitive to cold temperatures you get a head start on the growing process in order to achieve maximum results...you can get blooms in summer if you seed start indoors early and harden them off in spring etc...etc...

• L Clark (zone 4 WY)
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Awesome, Dorian. Do you grow canna in a cold climate?

• FrozeBudd_z3/4
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Yes, for sure, as Dorion says they're worth growing even in regions with short summers. If starting from seed, these must be sown very early, even January! Canna rhizomes can be purchased from many places, though beware, much of the stock these days is virused and can preform poorly and virus spreading to other healthy cannas one might have. This is overcome either by starting your own seed or purchasing seed grown plants that are generally offered by many retailers, the Cannova series is particularly good. They make excellent container plants, though keep well watered and fed. Like most tropicals, they don't much like cold weather and I toss my potted plants into the house on those chilly nights we sometimes have even into June. If you keep yours in your greenhouse for an extended period of time, be sure to watch for both aphids and spider mites and use a hose to wash down the foliage if these insects become troublesome. I toss the containers into the cold storage room for the winter, just keep them a few degrees above freezing and check from time to time that they don't become overly dried out and they should be fine, though some cannas do store better than others.

• L Clark (zone 4 WY)
    3 years ago

Cool. So yours are all in pots? You don’t put any in ground? When do yours bloom?

what is a good place online to order rhizomes from?

what varieties are good ones? I see there is one called ‘Wyoming’ lol. I might have to try that one

• FrozeBudd_z3/4
    Original Author
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Yes, I've planted cannas in ground as well, though of late just been keeping them containerized and placed on the deck so we can enjoy them up close and personal. Check out Horn Canna Farm and or any place that might specify their plants being virus free. Canna rhizomes I bring into growth in April will be flowering in July. There's so many varieties to choose from, just go for what catches your eye and of the height you desire, some are very compact growing, others very tall. Plant in a protected location out of high winds and in as much sun as possible.

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES