SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
yet_another_stephanie

Repeated stem rot, indoors, no wet conditions - help appreciated

anotherstephanie
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

Hi everyone,

Two months ago I took my beloved adenium indoors for the cold months, as I have before. In the last month it has developed stem rot in multiple locations, and the rot seems to be spreading. I keep it fairly dry in the winter, and have overwintered it in the same location in my house before. I'm getting a bit concerned about it. Do any of you have any idea why it might be rotting this way, and what I should do about it?

Here's a picture. The red arrows point to two locations where I cut off rotted stems. The orange arrow points to a stem that appears to be in the early stages of rotting. Most troubling, the blue arrow points to an area that has lost its firmness in the last 24 hours. It's not squishy; it simply feels like the stem flesh has shrunken in, leaving the plant's outer skin loose. I'm pretty sure that dieback from one of the previous cuts is spreading, or potentially more rot, even though I took a pretty ambitious cut and I thought I'd gotten all of the diseased tissue.

If it helps at all, in the winter I water this adenium fairly sparingly, and leave at least two weeks before watering. The stems and leaves are not watered or moistened. My previous cuts to remove the rot were done with a pair of pruners that had been cleaned in alcohol, and the cuts were pretty clean with no visible rot remaining.

Before I panic and cut off the whole right-hand limb of the plant, I'd really love to hear your thoughts! Thanks!

Comments (16)