SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jdmasek

Violet Gall Fly/Midge Control?

tuesdayschild
6 years ago

Hi all, I have 2 large, old beds of viola odorata underpinning my rose garden and, starting 3 years ago, I've been invaded by what I finally figured out are Prodiplosis violicola Took me almost a year to identify... So, having discovered what the little misery is, went looking for how to get rid of it (since spraying with Greenlight Rose Defense, which I do for walking stick troubles on the roses, was clearly having no effect). OSU says that while it was once considered the worst pest in the viola industry it is "now uncommon." So, how did I get so lucky? I've denuded the beds, literally down to the ground for two years now, twice a year. I'm about to go out and do it again this afternoon because "they're baaack!"

Has anyone found a way to successfully make these guys "uncommon" in an established bed? I keep scalping, but then I turn around and there they are again! This seems to be linked to a pretty severe swerve in weather patterns around here as the timing coincides with San Diego getting to be part of the "monsoon pattern" for much of the summer. I'm guessing that as long as this increased summer humidity sticks around, I'm going to be fighting these bugs. I'm really reluctant to rip them out permanently—they've been there for 50 years (I found an old photo of the house that shows even larger violet beds back in the 60s), so I'm hoping someone has found a more successful method that doesn't involve scalping to bare earth every year. Nematodes? Midge-eating bugs? I'm really trying to stay "safe" in my methods not hurt my beneficials.

Comment

Sponsored