SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
vda11

Gardenia in container yellowing leaves

Hi,

I have a frost proof variety gardenia that has a yellowing leaves problem. I got it last year from Home Depot (http://www.homedepot.com/p/2-5-Qt-Frost-Proof-Gardenia-2099Q/206345951?cm_mmc=SEM%7CTHD%7Cgoogle%7CD24+Paint&mid=sESWFyjNs%7Cdm_mtid_8903pdd25182_pcrid_194739214989_pkw__pmt_b_product_&gclid=CM2G7MOY-tQCFUtWDQodI7gBqg#) kept it inside over winter after reporting it into a bigger pot. As I got it late in fall last year it didnt bloom, and was doing ok inside. This spring I took it outside on my north facing balcony that is mostly shade with some sun in the morning) and it really likes it, it has spread out a bit, seemed to be doing ok. it keeps getting these yellowing leaves that have now gotten worse but after an epsom salt and neem oil treatment it has flower buds all over and a few have started flowering already. It did suffer from lack of water for about a week recently as I was on vacation and there was no rain and when I came back a few days ago all the buds were drooping and even some leaves. I watered it thoroughly (good drainage) and buds/blooms seem to have mostly recovered, after dropping a lot of leaves - green and yellow - and some of the buds started blooming (see pictures) . My question is the reason for the yellowing leaves and how to fix, I repotted it initially in Home Depot potting mix/soil, fertilize with 30-10-10 for acid loving plants. But the yellowing of the leaves seems to be an ongoing problem with it, that is now worse after it suffered a bit of drought. Is there anything in particular that is causing this ongoing problem?

also, some of the leaves have the whitish looking residue or film but I don't see any insects upon inspection and it doesn't seem to hurt the leaves and no damage to the underside of the leaves. Should I be worried about it?

I live in zone 7b, NYC and although this variety should be hardy up to zone 7 I may bring it inside but want to be able to leave it outside sometimes as winters have not been consistently cold here, and on and off with cold and mild, and if it gets too big to bring inside a small New York apartment. I was considering to get a jubilation gardenia hardy to zone 7 as a replacement but I see this gardenia really trying and want to give it a chance :)

Here are some pictures. Thank you in advance for any insights and suggestions!

Comment (1)

Sponsored