SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cathy_cokley

Heuchera Seedlings

Hi Everyone!!!

Take a look at my first heuchera seedlings. These are almost one month old. They are h. American Dale's Strain from Whitewatervol.

They were a test to see if I could germinate them. Wow!! Just a little bit of seeds and now I'll have enough for all of my family members. Lol

Ok now what do I do? Do they need fertilizer? When do I transplant? How do I overwinter? What is my next step?

Here they are:

Closer:

Comments (132)

• whitewatervol (Z 8a/7b Upstate SC)
    6 years ago

Seedlings from 'Dale's Strain':

These are mostly green but experience tells me the streaking and misting won't show up completely until they are larger.

6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

'Carnival Black Olive' seedlings:

Color again varies from green to brown to red. Some streaking, which is a bit surprising since the parent doesn't have much streaking.

• Related Discussions

Heuchera seedlings doing well, but I have a question...

Q

Comments (9)
    Yes, you can collect seeds but it has taken a LONG time for the seed pods to dry on my Heauchera's. They bloomed in June and I have just collected the dried stalks. For me, this flower's seed is too small to try to work with and I just strip the whole stalk of flower pods, dry it some more and save the whole mess. In the spring I will crush it a bit and sprinkle everything into jugs - the seeds are in there soemwhere. Worked really well with both Palace purple and Venus last year.
    ...See More

Evening of June 27th....pictures part I

Q

Comments (14)
    mnwsgal, Are you referring to true Hyssop or Agastache? That is Agastache foeniculum and Hyssopus officinalis....both just common species. My older clump of the Feverfew 'Flore Pleno' was 3+ feet by as wide. I don't have the big one this year because this past winter it was ran over by a city snow plow. It is making a come back but was slow coming to start and part of the clump just never made it :( Here's a few pictures of it last year this time :) June 21st June 29th
    ...See More

so I don't have a whole lot of varieties, but.....

Q

Comments (2)
    Not pictured I have h. Americana, Dale's strain and our local native Americana, another native I've not I'd yet, and a small Firefly. Firefly hasn't really thrived for me, I probably should move it.
    ...See More

Heuchera Seedlings

Q

Comments (11)
    That is some happy Purple Palace to produce such a mass of seedlings. I've never been able to keep that variety alive in my garden. We've had an unusually wet period the last 3-4 weeks and I've had 3 of my green Heucheras develop some kind of fungal problem. I tought it might be powdery mildew - will have to investigate Heuchera Rust further. I ended up removing all of the leaves from the effected plants. They seem to be sending up new leaves now that so far don't look infected. Of course, I have so many seedlings that are similar to those that if I need to remove them, I will. The main concern is that it would spread to other, more desirable, plants.
    ...See More
    6 years ago

Most of these are 'Brownies' seedlings but there are 2-3 'Dale's Strain' seedlings in there too:

These are more consistently brown than some of the others.

6 years ago

Half the tray is seedlings from 'Carnival Black Olive and the other half is 'Carnival Silver Streak'

6 years ago

Mostly Oakleaf hydrangea seedlings from 'Ruby Slippers'. Seedlings came up profusely from the dried flowers. The reused 2 liter soda bottles are winter sown 'Dale's Strain':

6 years ago

Seedlings from 'Dale's Strain' that came up on their own last year that I then potted:

Lots of variation in the streaking and misting in these. About 20 of these are going to my mom's house tomorrow.

6 years ago

One last shot:

It's a bit hard to see but almost all of the small green specks are baby Heuchera that self-seeded. A lot of them won't survive but I'll leave them in place for a bit before digging up the promising ones and tossing the others.

6 years ago

Next winter with the more colorful Heuchera, I will likely sow the seeds in trays to germinate them. Once they germinate, I'll transfer individual plants to 2" pots to grow under lights.

If I do any more 'Dale's Strain', it will be winter sown in reused soda bottles. I have too many seedlings from that to justify growing more under lights.

• Cathy Cokley Shilow z8 SC
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    I am so jealous. Beautiful. I can't wait to start mines. I will update. Beautiful!
  • pandora
    6 years ago

Do Dales Strain grow true (are the same variety as the parent) from seeds? Or is this a fun experiment to see if any are pretty?

6 years ago

They don't grow exactly the same as the parent. That said, every 'Dale's Strain' seedling I've ever grown has had some variegation. Some are more deeply variegated and some are less. They're all basically free so why not?

6 years ago

Also, based on the variability of the 'Dale's Strain' plants I've seen for sale at the big box stores, I'm pretty sure what they sell is also grown from seed.

• pandora
    6 years ago

Whitewater, Sure why not. They are nice companion plants and that's a great way grow your own. I'm a compulsive spreadsheet maker and like to know I've categorized plants correctly. So, easy enough, if I gathered seeds, to just mark seedling on spreadsheet. I just like to know.

I've given up on the beautiful Heuchera Hybrids. Lost too many at $12-15 a pop.

6 years ago

These were all seedlings from my original 'Dale's Strain' plants a few years ago:

6 years ago

And a few more:

These are in the backyard where they have to survive our 2 dogs. Great to put plants back there that don't cost much money.

• nicholsworth Z6 Indianapolis
    6 years ago

whitewatervol..such pretty heucheras..I get Palace Purple volunteers..here's some in my path..along with hostas, hellebores and an astilbe..

6 years ago

I've never had much luck with Palace Purple - it just seems to melt away in the summer. Glad it does well for you.

I was weeding this evening and found little Heucheras sprouting in the front yard that are 15 feet away from the closest Heuchera plant.

6 years ago

Palace Purple is the best one I've had..I have a green with some red (no ID tag) that's still alive..when it fills out I'll post a pic..Key Lime Pie, Creme Brulee and Plum Pudding all died..

Original Author
    6 years ago
    Whitewatervol, those are beautiful pictures. They are all doing their own thing and that is great! I wonder if I could put some seeds outside by the step to see if they grow. I'm going to try them outside. I'll keep you guys posted.
    6 years ago

I've lost count of the Heuchera that I've killed in one way or another. I've had them dry out and die in August. I've had them mysteriously melt away in the heat even when watered (in hindsight, that may be a sign of beetle grub damage). I've had them get root rot if too wet in the winter and die.

I've had oriental beetle swarms eat all the leaves off (that has happened to several plants the last 2 years - they seem to prefer the expensive ones). Now that I know when those beetles show up (early June - feed at night), I should be ready to greet them in the evenings with a jar of soapy water. I'm also planning to treat the lawn with grub treatment this year in early July and again in early August to try to knock down their numbers. According to literature, adult oriental beetles aren't voracious feeders - the ones in my yard forgot to read the literature. They ate lots of plants before I discovered and identified them and then started removing them. They are like Japanese Beetles but a bit smaller with different coloration and they show up 2-3 weeks earlier in the season. They feed at night (peak activity around 9 PM) so I didn't see them at first until I started checking the yard multiple times per day to find what was eating my plants.

6 years ago

gardening is challenging isn't it?..but we keep fighting..

• pandora
    6 years ago

Lol "they didn't read the literature". I worked with a woman who typed pretty fast. Got a part time job and was paid a penny a word to write articles from repairing a carburetor to raising goats. Didn't know a thing about any of it, she just cut & paste sentences from other articles.

• dbarron
    6 years ago

Well, I have tiny cotyledon sprouts on my mixed Heuchera seeds sown in Feb (winter sow method in milk jug) finally. The adults have bulked up nicely this spring and shot up bloom stalks.

• pandora
    6 years ago

Whitewater, Very nice pictures. Thx

• dbarron
    3 years ago

I know this is an old post, but hope Cathy sees it :)
    The slugs ate the young plants referenced in 2018. However, I started again this spring and kept them inside till they were sizable and slugs did not get them. Here's a community pot showing the variation in the seed strain (Metallica). Considering that I have 5 pots with this many in each, I suspect heuchera clumps are in my future, versus separating out individual plants.

Cathy Cokley Shilow z8 SC thanked dbarron
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I shared with my DH that it made me feel good to know people are still posting here. I've moved into my mom's house and have only one plant. I bought it this year. It's Purple Palace. All of my seeds are probably no good by now because they are in a back room lost in a storage box. I'll have some seeds from the PP this year. Dbarron your seedlings are beautiful. Did they all come from the same mother plant?

• dbarron
    3 years ago

They were strain 'Metallica' from Plant World Seeds..so I really have no idea, but doubt it.

3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Seems like most people have migrated to FB instead of here. This seedling is around 3 years old from carnival silver streak.

3 years ago

All the ones in this bed are also seedlings from 3 years ago. I don't really buy heuchera much anymore since they are easy to grow from seed.

3 years ago

This bed has seedlings from last year. I'll eventually have to move some when they get bigger.

• dbarron
    3 years ago

Yes, I didn't realize how easily they grew from seed till this year...and though the same thing...I bet I've paid $100 for far less plants (of heuchera) than this one batch of seedlings.

Original Author
    3 years ago

I like the brighter colors. I'm afraid yo put my Hostas in the ground so I can add the heuchera with them. If I put them in the ground then I want more color than green. Whitewatervol, what do you use as mulch. Very nice Heuchera .

• Faby Dee
    3 years ago

Hello! I am new to the Forum & do not know what I am doing! I just had the good fortune to discover Heucheras & they are amazing. I came across some seeds & was wondering if I could plant seeds now, under grow lights in my Florida room through the winter so the plants will be larger when the time comes to plant them outside? I am in zone 8 sc. All of the seedlings in this post are awesome!

Original Author
    3 years ago

Welcome to the forum!! I think they would be very large by next spring. Be careful. A little bit of seeds can bring many many plants. Just plant a little bit for now and experiment.

Anyone else still here?

Original Author
    3 years ago

Does anyone have extra seeds? Whitewatervol? Dbarron?

• dbarron
    3 years ago

I bought seed, I don't typically collect seed :)

• Zara Vivante
    3 years ago

ÑCathy Cokley thanks for your response, I will do just as you suggest. I guess I am maybe a bit excited and eager to get started, patience is not my virtue..

Cathy Cokley Shilow z8 SC thanked Zara Vivante
  • dbarron
    3 years ago

Cathy, rains having finally arrived again, I planted probably 30 to 50 heuchera out this prior evening (in five community pots). I won't need any more coral bells for a few years, but thank you for showing yours which inspired me. Oh yeah, now that I have enough to cross pollinate well, I *could* maybe collect seeds for myself next time I get the itch. My 'Georgia Peach' would be a good parent.

• Kindness Matters (NE Ohio 6a)
    3 years ago

Since you guys are still here, thought I'd ask... Do any of you have any heuchera/heucherella/tiarella that are carefree in the sense of surviving on their own without any pest control? Or is there no such thing? My astilbe and most of the sedums are untouched by deer, rabbits, and slugs, but I'm sick of the hosta being attacked by everything out there. Hoping that there are some heuchs that can take their place (without needing to be sprayed etc.), but probably wishful thinking.

• dbarron
    3 years ago

Mine are never attacked by pest (other than rabbits and that's something in the pest's brain...they target one plant (not necessarily a heuchera) and attack it till it's gone) (I've had aloe, geranium, heuchera and tiarella, hellebore, and callirhoe be the target). I say it's something in the brain, because they pick one plant and don't bother others near it...weirdest thing.

This year was the callirhoe, last year was a tiarella, the year before the hellebore, the year before that the aloe, etc. In all fairness, they're all still alive..but they were repeatedly razed to the ground and are much smaller than they were.

• hl_60
    3 years ago

I have 6 Dolce Blackberry Ice Heuchera. They're great. I have rabbits and squirrels, and they leave my Heuchera alone except sometimes the rabbits eat the Heuchera flowers but leave the leaves alone.

I've had these for 4yrs (started with 3 then divided them over time).

I do see holes in some of the leaves towards Summer's end, but nothing concerning.

I had Fire Alarm (died first year) and Berry Smoothie (rabbits decimated it).

Maybe the leaf texture of the Dolce is unappealing to rabbits?

• Kindness Matters (NE Ohio 6a)
    3 years ago

dbarron, that is interesting! At least your rabbits focus on one plant...our deer mow all the hosta down (only started doing it a couple of years ago...for some reason used to leave our yard alone, but definitely not anymore!).

hl_60, of course Berry Smoothie is one of the ones I would love to get! That pink color is my fav. I'd much prefer the pink or bright red colors, but bright green or orange would work too. The darker / purplish plants tend to fade into our black mulch, and of course it sounds like those are the more "resistant" ones!

I got my first Heucherella this Fall (Solar Eclipse) just to try one out, and don't have my hopes up too high, but we'll see!

• dbarron
    2 years ago

Ok, I just have to post an update. I don't believe I've lost any of the seedlings I grew...which is a monumental improvement over buying potted grown plants. This wasn't a great year (hot and very very dry), but they all made it through. I think the water-logged spring was harder on them really.

Original Author
    2 years ago

Pictures?

• dbarron
    2 years ago

No, like I said...it's been a hard year. They're there, but not at all spectacular.

Original Author
    2 years ago

I'm happy to know you still have them. I may plant some th his year.

2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Seedlings planted last year are doing well.

• dbarron
    last year

Well I bought some more seeds from Jellito this fall, so I should be starting another couple of pots (community pots) soon.

I don't expect to get plants representative of their graphics (attached), but it could happen.

These things are easy to grow if you pay attention and transplant as needed.

Original Author
    last year

I think I will order some (variety pack) and start some this year also. I need some color in a Hosta garden I will be starting next year.

Sponsored
Wannemacher Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Customized Award-Winning Interior Design Solutions in Columbus, OH