Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_34904722

Random #5

User
7 years ago

Comments (13K)

• marrymaid
    5 years ago
    Ann, bald eagles and golfing at the same time, wonderful.
  • Ann
    5 years ago

Marrymaid, it sounds like things are actually going quite well. I bet you'll get the timing issues figured out with the realtor's help and it won't be long before you're feeling like Linda, closed on both places and moved into the new home!

• Related Discussions

Random Pics of Random Picks

Q

Comments (21)
    Not really, Trace. One seedling was under the LED panel (which is only 45 watts), one was under the T5HOs and the mature grafted plant is still under the T5HO shelf. I've had to bring the seedlings upstairs because I do not water much in the basement and these will need regular watering as well as some feeding for the buds to fully develop. The grafted one also needs to be brought up, which I will do later. I had positioned it at the back because I was expecting it to slow down and go semi-dormant as it gets colder. I certainly was not expecting it to start blooming. Also, it isn't that cold there yet---my thermometer is still reporting something like 20 to 25C. I've had to snatch my winter-growing xerophytes and kick them back outdoors. Pagan
    ...See More

Random #5

Q

Comments (8)
    Thank you Dave; how absolutely magical and bewitching scene, a wonderland. Each conifer is like a sculpture with the dusting of snows on the limbs; all deciduous maples and trees giving that architectural feature without all its leaves of branching. You're doing something right; it's so pristine, I don't even see one wildlife paw, hoof, or any type of critters in the snow --- the definition of snow coverage paths to wander and lead you to one enticing and tranquil spot of the garden to another. Thank you for sharing my request for a winter snow pic. Cheers, p.s.: A hot cocoa or hot toddy for a leisure stroll thru your garden (LOL) -- rather a "hot toddy" (haha).
    ...See More

Storm damage

Q

Comments (14)
    Thanks! yeah, just did the repot in late May and was planning to kee it in that pot for a couple years. This was my worst nightmare all summer! However, the nightmare included the pot shattered with soil spilled all over the ground and the tree living in a trash bag for a few hours till I could get a new pot. At least it wasn't that bad! Haha. I'm more worried about the bent Schefflera. It looked so great before.
    ...See More

Total Novice, Looking to start grafting fruit trees. Advice needed.

Q

Comments (6)
    Well for apples and pears which are pretty foolproof to graft, a lot of people bench graft. Eg. graft directly to the rootstock prior to grafting. I have no experience nor have done any research for peaches, apricots, ect. I have heard that they are more difficult. I know for large volume grafting the nurseries usually bud graft because their scions then go a lot farther as a scion with 3-4 buds can be grafted to 4 rootstocks instead of just 1 as as a cleft graft. It is also faster for multi-grafting as you place all 3-4-5 buds on the same rootstock at the same time. I think they usually do 4-5-6 buds with expectation that 1-2 will fail but they still end up with a 3-4 variety tree.
    ...See More
  • User
    5 years ago

Depo- I love your big glass shower and the re-fresh ideas sound great! Show us some tile pics when you are done;)

• User
    5 years ago

marrymaid- thanks for checking back with us. I sure hope all goes smooth for you!! I can imagine how all this must be messing with your mind, change can be hard, but it can be exciting too.

Sorry to hear about the fall and hope the recovery is quick. Keep us posted.

• User
    5 years ago

Ladma- sounds like it is time for that roof. You are right and a new roof would help a quicker sale. One less big ticket item for a new buyer not to have to deal with.

• User
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Thanks knicetime LOL- about the dead thread ;) good to know you are checking in. Feel free to chime in more.

• User
    5 years ago

I wonder where Karen is?

• User
    5 years ago

My exciting news is that we got new phones yesterday and went out to eat. I had a half of Pastrami sandwich and salad bar.

What excitement will today bring?

• tgb1
    5 years ago

Flurrying in my neck of the woods - so I guess that's exciting lol.....:))

• ladma
    5 years ago
    Marrymaid, hopefully all will go smoothly for you. We want something in our general area, it’s nice to be close to D2 and the baby. I’ve been able to babysit if she’s sick. When we find the right thing we should be ready to pounce. It’s raining now, we got a walk in early and it was 68°!
  • glschisler
    5 years ago
    Well, lots of news in a day! That is wonderful news MM and Depo, I love refreshes ;)) Last night we & 3 neighbor couples went to Longhorn Steakhouse for dinner to celebrate our house closing last Friday. It was a very enjoyable evening. Today I finally booked the hotel in Quebec at the end of our cruise Aug 9. We get off the ship at 7 a.m. & the flights to Pensacola leave at 6 a.m. :/ so we are good to fly back a day later.
  • Depo
    5 years ago
    Thanks for all of the encouragement on the bathroom, everyone! Didn't get anything done yesterday, but I'm going to finish the tile today. It was going TOO well for a while. Seven tiles fit perfectly across the space, no cuts needed! Then I started looking at the j boxes hubs put in for the new lights. They aren't going to be centered over the sinks! We'll jerry rig them somehow, but then discovered the new mirrors are too deep and will interfere with the medicine cabinet. So the medicine cabinet is going and I get to patch drywall!

MM, that's great that your house sold so quickly! I'm not surprised though, all the work you have put in to it lately! I know change is hard, but you will love the maintenance free villa, especially after you make it yours. Best wishes for hubby and his knee, hoping for good news on that front!
  • User
    5 years ago

Depo- you know that nothing in a DYI can go easy. I am not a fan of medicine cabinets, so for me that would be a plus that the mirrors are too deep. A good reason to take it out;) That's me tho.

Nice to have that trip to look forward to Linda.

Oh, speaking of trips, Ann, your trip to Charleston must be coming up soon right?

• User
    5 years ago

I was planning on taking a road trip that way this summer but watching my 17 year old cat getting so thin and hardly eating is making me rethink going anywhere. I will not board him at this stage.

• marrymaid
    5 years ago
    Sitting and waiting for OH to get his MRI and have a minute to check in.
    Thanks Linda and Depo. Depo, it stinks that you have run into a couple of snags. Sounds as though you have figured it all out and I know it will turn out lovely. I am not much of a DYIer so I always admire those that are. Be sure and post pictures when you are all finished.
    Linda, enjoy your next travel adventure. It sounds like a fun voyage.
    Margo, it sounds like we might be headed for some good temps and to be able to get outside. I know that you are eager to get into the dirt. ;))
  • glschisler
    5 years ago
    Depo, that setback is a bummer...Margo, what is wrong with your cat the it is losing weight? MM, I hope all went well yesterday. Yesterday I had to take care of scuffling some banking issues. Today is a Newcomers club luncheon, and the OH wants to go see the movie, Madeas Funeral. Those that have seen it say it is hilarious.
  • User
    5 years ago

Linda- I suspect part of it is old age. He is 17+. I did some research and seems geriatric cats are known to have Kidney failure. Says that it usually shows up with symptoms when the damage is at 75%. No real cure. The weight loss could mean many things as the symptoms for various things like diabetes and other things all have the same symptoms. I could take him in and have his panels read but then if I found out he needed some expensive treatment would I put him through that at his age especially if there was no guarantee of extending his life. He is drinking a lot and still using the litter box, very vocal these days, but his appetite is way down and he is thin. Could be just old age? I just baby him more now.

• Depo
    5 years ago

Awww, Margo, I'm sorry about your kitty! I'm with you, why put him through tests and treatment at his age? I hope his appetite picks up and you have many more years with him. We have never had a cat get old, they always run away after a couple of years. One moved in down the street, so we still got to see her on a regular basis, but the other two got out, and I suspect were absconded by wild critters. Our house backs up to a small ranch, and we hear Coyote packs running over there quite often.

• marrymaid
    5 years ago
    Margo, sorry to hear about your sweet cat. Fingers crossed that her appetite will return. I have read that a symptom of diabetes is drinking lots of water.
    OH has a torn MCL. A brace and 6 weeks of therapy should fix him up. Thankfully no surgery is required.
  • glschisler
    5 years ago
    Margo, that is sad.
  • glschisler
    5 years ago
    MM, I am glad OH doesn’t need surgery :)
  • Depo
    5 years ago

MM, good news that surgery is not needed for OH's torn MCL! Sounds like he'll be healed just in time for the big move, hehe! Seriously, you'll be hiring movers, won't you?

• glschisler
    5 years ago
    MM, you will be amazed at the amount of trash you will haul to the curb. We found it shocking & we thought we were pretty good at keeping the home “ clutter free”. Like I said, we found charities that collected furniture, kitchen, dining, appliances etc to pick up our unwanted stuff. Be sure to draw up a floor plan to be sure your furniture that you plan to take will fit where you plan to put it in the new home. I am Glad we did that, because it was apparent that the armoire would have to go into the guest bedroom. And the triple dresser had to be shoved into a corner of the master bedroom.
  • marrymaid
    5 years ago
    Depo, we will definitely be hiring movers. Way past our prime to move ourselves. Lol
    OH says he has an athletic injury but can’t decide which sport.
    How is your bathroom coming along? As I mentioned, we lack DYI ability but Margo does a wonderful job too.
  • marrymaid
    5 years ago
    Linda, fortunately we have cleaned out every nook and corner. We could have a few more donations but the extra furniture will go to my niece who will be getting married a year from September after she graduates from Vet school. They will bring a trailer and load everything to take to Quinter, KS where Toby has a house. We are thrilled that they like what we have and want it, everything from the lower level. It is definitely a win win for everyone. I have pretty much figured out what will fit and if a few things don’t, will offer it to the girls or donate it.
  • Depo
    5 years ago
    Thanks for asking about the bathroom MM. I would like to get your opinion (all of you). The wall behind the vanity is tiled but not grouted yet. OH wants me to tile the side wall also, now that the medicine cabinet is gone, all the way up. I really don’t think I want to, I just want the one feature wall. But would it look funny with just a 6” splash or no splash at all?
    What would you all do?
  • Ann
    5 years ago

I think all the way up, but I don't think the 6" is a bad look. Sorry to agree with your husband, knowing you don't want to. I don't think I'd go without anything on that side.

• ladma
    5 years ago
    I think you have to do all, or nothing.
  • marrymaid
    5 years ago
    So, if you go all the way up, would you stop at the top of the door frame or take it to the ceiling? If you go to the ceiling what would it look like above the door frame? I guess I am confused as usual.
  • marrymaid
    5 years ago
    Ok, looking again, you would just tile the width of the cabinet to the ceiling? If you just do a row or two, you could always add a nice piece of art.
  • User
    5 years ago

I am with you Depo. One feature wall. I would not use a 6" backsplash at all on the side wall. I don't think much water gets splashed to worry about the side wall.

• marrymaid
    5 years ago
    Margo, that is what I was thinking and why I posted those questions. I have a feeling it might be “overkill” if you understand what I am saying. I would move the towel ring to the left or consider a small bar and add some color with a picture.
  • Depo
    5 years ago
    Thanks, everyone! I too think tile on that wall would be overkill. It's not that I don't want to do the work, because that tile really is a dream to work with! And you are right, Margo, I don't think water will get splashed on that wall anyway. The other problem is that I would need to use a Schluter edge profile because the glass has a green edge and would not look finished. I don't like that look. I didn't use one on the other end because it is facing the window and the only one seeing it would be me in the bathtub ( or a peeping Tom, lol!). I appreciate the feedback!
  • User
    5 years ago

Those were good questions marrymaid. Maybe that's why ladma said "All or nothing".

• ladma
    5 years ago
    Margo, I’m a woman of few words. MM expressed my concern much better!
  • marrymaid
    5 years ago
    Depo, be sure you post an update. You are doing a nice job and I am looking forward to seeing the completed project.
  • knicetime
    5 years ago

Depo, great job on the tile. I also agree with Margo and others about just one wall. I’m sure the final look will be spectacular :)

• Depo
    5 years ago

Thank you, knicetime. I broke the news to OH last night that I would not be tiling the side wall and he said, OK. That was easy, lol!

I will definitely post update pics, MM! Thanks again for your help.

• User
    5 years ago

LOL Depo- I like your husbands answer;)

• User
    5 years ago

Depo- I keep forgetting to say that your tile job looks professional. The green glass is pretty and your stacking making it modern;)

What is your grout color?

• Depo
    5 years ago

I think Antique White. I used alabaster in the kitchen, but the slate has AW, so I think I should stick with that, if it's not too light. It's still too dark in there to see anything, so I will take my samples in there later. Thank you for the complement on the tile. Like I said, it's really easy to work with.

• Depo
    5 years ago

Sorry Margo, I lied. Got out my samples and I used AW in the kitchen and that is what I will use in the bathroom. It's darker than Alabaster.

• glschisler
    5 years ago
    Great job Depo! Late to the decision, but I too agree with you! :)
  • Depo
    5 years ago

Thank you gls!

• Depo
    5 years ago

Well, nothing got done today! I went out to get grout and could not find any antique white! I just ordered some on line, so that will set me back a couple of days. Not that this job is going very fast. The vanity could be done, but that would cut into OH's golf and lunch outings with his buddies, lol!

• Jenn TheCaLLisComingFromInsideTheHouse
    5 years ago

Margo, if you see this can you please start a new 'Random' discussion?? This one is getting to where my computer won't load it right half the time! :P

Thanks!!

P.S. Sorry about your kitty, but 17 years is a good long life!! My first cat only lived to age 10, and my last cat was a Siamese and she lived to 16 - half of her life with a dog that she tolerated only because Molly is warm and she liked to sleep on top of her while Molly was underneath the blankets. Like a live heating blanket. I refused to board either the cat or Molly, though when we went out for my brother's wedding back in 2002 I did board the cat - for whatever reason the cat always came home sick after being boarded, and Molly acts like I'm leaving her forever when I go to the store, so boarding her was always out of the question. I'd rather just bring her with me, even though she's 12 now, she's most comfortable when I'm there.

An update on the family and household - everyone is happy for Spring, happy that we haven't had any flooding in the house, the neighborhood, or school - the store where my new sewing machine was purchased is only just now opening this weekend, they had a mess to clean up as they are located on Main street in Fremont (which is about 40 miles north of us and had quite a bit of water thanks to ice breakup and a bridge, plus the farmland out there is low lying in comparison to where we are).

I've been working some and when not doing that I've been cutting out fabric for quilts. Once everything is cut out then I can start sewing, I prefer this method because I know what I've got in terms of materials and can move things around with a visual reference to go by. Trying to cut out a couple fabrics, sew them into their blocks and then do the next ones from cutting to layout to block sewing gets too tedious. I plan to make D1's in these sort of butterfly blocks that use half triangle squares on the front, she's my girly girl and some of the fabric I bought to make hers with are actual butterfly print. D2 said she wants bright colors and "not too much boy stuff or too many/any flowers", and I'm probably going to do a pinwheel block pattern with bright prints and alternate with contrasting solid colors; blue, red, green, yellow, orange. I'm excited to see how things all come together, and will do the bulk of the sewing while the girls are at school and then while they're out doing various activities this summer vacation! The mister is very understanding and has been keeping them occupied so I can work and try to make the final results a little bit of a surprise!

• ladma
    5 years ago
    Jenn, I’m so glad you escaped the flooding, I’ve been worrying about you. The quilts sound nice. I am about to make some summer weight sleep sacks for the grands. I can do them pretty quickly, and now no longer curse at the zippers.
  • User
    5 years ago

OK Jenn. Guys I will start a Random #6. Look for this as the picture instead of the twins.