SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mczinn

Need advice on giant bamboo removal

mczinn
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

We need advice on how to get the remains of this bambusa giant clumper out of the ground so we can put a deck here. The area with bamboo is about 15 by 8 feet. As you can see from the pictures, this was huge and everything is very dense and tangled. I have yet to find a picture on the internet this bad.

I have scoured the internet and talked to a number of people and it seems that everyone has difference advice, but most bamboo isn't this dense or large. By the way, we have dense clay soil.

We tried sawzalling it with a 12" pruning blade and prying it out with a mattock, and that worked for about 1 foot square until the sawzall blade dulled from the dirt or bamboo.

Ideas so far:

* Buy a slammer and dig it out. Will it even go through these rhizomes?

* Rent a stump grinder. Although this is in a courtyard surrounded by large windows so I understand we will need to protect the windows from flying wood and loose gravel.

* Get a mini excavator in there (not sure if this is possible, but maybe if we take the fence down. Won't the clumps still need to be separated?

* Try the sawzall again, but with a carbide demo blade.

* Any combo of the above.

I know this forum is primarily focused on growing and dividing bamboo, but any help would be appreciated. We are pulling our hair out with this. So thank you in advance!

Comments (14)

Sponsored