SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
xtal_gw

Giant Okra: "Star of David"

I posted this in the Vegetables Forum before finding this forum. I think it qualifies and would hate for you to miss it.

Having just harvested my first “Star of David” Okra, I felt this information was worth passing along. It is one of the largest varieties that I’ve ever planted. Ideal for frying, roasting, gumbo, or even sautéed since smaller okra truly shrivels up in the pan. For my first fried okra in years, it was great!

However, this is not the variety to pickle unless you have enough gallon containers to experiment. This is such a large variety that once you get your first one in the jar, it might be difficult to squeeze in more.

The flipside, and there always is one, is that you are sacrificing quantity for quality. The plant itself cannot produce as much as the smaller okra varieties. It’s a tradeoff - depending upon what you want. But, even at that, it’s one of those that you just have to grow to say that you can.

Bragging rights over this variety can be laid at the feet of Baker Creek. “Star of David” is one you must try. Here in Central Texas, we can still plant them for another month which is worthwhile in anyone’s book.

In my opinion, I saw "Go for it!" Order your seeds and plant a couple. What do you have to loose. You can always save the rest of the seeds for next year.

For those of you who might be interested in checking into this, you can always prune your plants back so they'll regrow. Here in Texas, we have a lot more growing season than when we get to the end of our Okra.

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths