SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rredbbeard

Hippeastrum leonardii gone haywire?

rredbbeard
8 years ago

I purchased this as a 2cm wide bulb about 2 years ago, and the growth has been remarkable. This past spring I removed approx 12 rooted offsets, now I count about 25 more, many of which are rooted and could be removed.

The mother bulb has increased to ~2" wide. Since this came from a highly-respected seller, I'm sure this is correctly labeled, but any flowering could be more than a year away.

Has anyone grown this species? Is this kind of offsetting normal? Here's a picture taken just now. It's in a 10" pot.

Thanks,

Rick in CT

Comments (12)

• kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)
    8 years ago

All I can say is WOW!

• dondeldux z6b South Shore Massachusetts
    8 years ago

And all I can say is that I am very impressed and extremely jealous!! Mine never grew, it's still alive but barely. I might ask what is your secret but I'm sure you just got a steroidal bulb! Can't wait to see the flowers and by the looks of it, that won't be long!! Good growing!! If you do have a secret, please share it with us!!

Donna☺☺☺

• rredbbeard
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Just plain old luck of the draw....maybe it's part triffid??

--Rick in CT

• macroclemys
    8 years ago

Rick, I purchased one about 1.5 years ago from Telos. It was probably about the size that yours was, and has grown to a diameter of 4 cm with 7 offsets. Maybe we have the same clone. Bill

• rredbbeard
    Original Author
    8 years ago

This also came from Telos, and I'm pretty sure the majority of Diane's plants are seed grown, with a few exceptions of course. Bill, would you like to swap offsets before really cold weather sets in? I always try to get non-clonal extras for cross-pollination. Lmk....

Thanks,

Rick in CT

• dondeldux z6b South Shore Massachusetts
    8 years ago

Welll, mine came from Telos also and I'd be embarrassed to post a picture of mine!! I'm definitely doing something wrong. I am going to repot mine today in a plastic pot and put if on heat and see what happens.!!

• macroclemys
    8 years ago

Hi Rick, yes I would be interested in trading. I just sent you an email.

Bill

• berkeleysgr8
    8 years ago

Since it's a rather rare species plant, it looks like you've hit the jackpot!

• berkeleysgr8
    8 years ago

It looks like a great flower to cross with papilio! They have similar features and could make beautiful babies!

• HU-63287435
    last year

I would like to purchase Hippeastrum leonardii offset bulbs from you. Would you sell to me?

• geoforce
    last year

I'm having a similar result with a small bulb of Puniceum. Purchased 2 years ago as a 10cm bulb (a bit over 1inch diameter) but it keeps producing offsets with only modest growth. Doubt it has increased in size by 1/4inch in this time.

Sponsored
More Discussions