SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sapphirelydia

Heuchera as Indoor Houseplant?

sapphirelydia
9 years ago

Hello! I am new to this forum and am considering getting into heucheras. (Otherwise I'm an addicted reader of the African violet forum.) Many thanks in advance for the kind advice of the experts here.

My main question is: Do you think heucheras can survive / thrive as a permanent, indoor houseplant? (I've done some searches on this forum already, and don't seem to find this topic mentioned. Maybe it is outright impossible?)

I live in an apartment and do not have a garden or balcony. I'm loving all kinds of houseplants with pink/red foliage: I have a few variegated African violets, and my peperomia caperata (burgundy) is doing very well too. (They receive a short couple hours of filtered window sunlight a day, then mostly fluorescent lamps from the ceiling or a desk lamp close by.) I love vibrant colors and I have been tempted by heucheras many times at the garden store, especially the pink/red ones like "Berry Smoothie" and "Midnight Rose". But they are not cheap enough for me to just buy a few and see what happens. Since heucheras do not need/like full sun, I wonder if I can grow it in similar condition as peperomia caperata.

A secondary question: In your experience, do some heucheras remain sparse and refuse to form a nice mound? In the garden store I often see the smaller-leaf varieties have a dense, nice mound, while some bigger-leaf ones (I think e.g. "Berry Smoothie") always look sparse and pathetic. I don't know if it's just a matter of plant maturity or nurturing.

Again, many thanks for all your replies!

Lydia

Comments (18)

Sponsored
Industry Leading General Contractors in Pickerington