SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bellabloom_gw

Mountain Laurel (Kalmia Latifolia) Hardy enough for Wisconsin?

bellabloom
15 years ago

I have always loved the Mountain Laurel (Kalmia Latifolia) since seeing them in the wild out east, but I have rarely seen them in a Wisconsin home landscape.

I purchased 3 "Firecracker" Mountain Laurels from a online nursery that came highly recommended. I have the Mountain Laurels in my front foundation planting beds which face north-northeast. To accompany the Mountain Laurels I have other broadleaf evergreens as well as some redtwig dogwoods, keeping winter interest as my main focus when I was designing these foundation planting beds.

So far they are doing gorgeously, growing nicely and healthy. I often get people walking past the house stopping and asking what they are, especially when they were in bloom in early June.

The "Firecracker" is rated down to -25 degrees/Zone 4. A few gardening friends feel that the Mountain Laurel in general isn't hardy enough for our Wisconsin winters and feel that the "evergreen" feature wont hold up and they will drop their leaves come Jan/Feb when we are in the dead of winter.

Does anyone here been successful with Mountain Laurels here in Wisconsin? How did they hold up in our winters? Should I take any precautions to protecting them until they are a little bigger and hardier to handle our winters?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions and feedback!

Amy

Comments (9)

Sponsored
Buckeye Basements, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars31 Reviews
Central Ohio's Basement Finishing ExpertsBest Of Houzz '13-'21