SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sahoyaref

Eeeeeeeek! Terrarium emergency! Live SNAIL discovered!!!!

sahoyaref
19 years ago

Someone PLEASE tell me that I"m not doomed! There I was, sitting at the table, eating lunch with my son, staring into my terrarium (which we moved across the room so that it's now the backdrop for the dinner table instead of in the already crowded living room), and I see this brown thing on one of my nep. pitchers. I could have sworn it wasn't there a moment ago, and then, on closer inspection. . . it's a snail! Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaauuuuuuuuuggggghhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WHAT DO I DO?!? I took it out immediately and killed it. The snail's body was dark grey. The shell is brown, about 1/8 inch in diameter. It is round but flat, not the stretched-out spiral that other common snails have. I can't post a pic. Can anyone tell me if these are the bad snails? I have a sinking feeling that they are. . . and if there is one, I"m sure there are more. Anyone have any brilliant ideas for getting rid of them? I guess I will wait until after lights out tonight to peer in there with a flashlight and see if I can find any more, and if there are lots, I will set out the beer traps. But seriously, am I screwed? I've been SO careful! I carefully inspected all the plants I put in! Could there have been snail eggs in the cedar bark mulch? I think that, judging by the size of the snail, it's been in there some time. Just the other day, when I moved my tank, I sealed it better with some plastic strips where there had been a crack between the sliding glass lids for my tank (the standard aquarium kind) and the edge of the tank, so my humidity has been staying nice and high now, between 70-80%. So I think that's why I'm finally seeing a snail out in the open. This sucks so much. . . =P Please, if anyone can give me a ray of hope, I would REALLY appreciate it! I know I can't use chemicals, so do I have a hope in the world of ever killing them all without re-doing my tank?

Comments (28)

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus