SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
fabaceae_native

anybody growing hardy citrus in abq or nm?

fabaceae_native
12 years ago

As a zone pusher, especially when it comes to fruiting plants, I have been researching hardy citrus hybrids for the last few years, without actually having taken the plunge into purchasing some. I've not found any evidence of anyone experimenting with these plants in NM, even though there are plenty of folks doing it in much colder zones.

Here is what I've discovered:

-- Zone7 growers in Oklahoma, the Carolinas, Maryland, etc., have had success with things like citrumelo (a trifoliate orange x grapefruit hybrid)

-- Citrange, yuzu, and citrumelo varieties are said by some to be subzero hardy.

-- The inedible trifoliate orange should be hardy to Zone6!

-- Some of the best-tasting conventional citrus, such as satsumas and various tangerines are hardy into the teens.

All of this is without protection, so with the kind of assistance some folks in ABQ have been giving their palm trees over the years, outside citrus could be doable. Let's not forget that Zone8 El Paso does have the odd orange tree! Oh, and according to the new 2012 USDA Hardiness Map, there are a few Zone9 spots in NM that should have no trouble with certain of the conventional citrus.

I'd love to hear anyone's anecdotes...

Comments (10)

Sponsored