SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rosemary1108

Stay away from Gurneys, Brecks and Springhill Nursery

rosemary1108
17 years ago

OK.. get ready for this one. I purchased over $860 worth of plants, flowers and bulbs from each of these online websites in the last year alone! I thought they were wonderful! The plants were growing nicely.

Now, this year comes up - man oh man what a different story! I purchased 3 rosebushes from Springhill Nursery - 2 last year, 1 this year - last year, the two were doing fine.. this year they won't come back - deader than dead. I ordered a new one this was before I realized the other two were not coming back - and within 2 weeks - the new one is deader than dead. I also purchased cascadia petunias - blue spark and choice - the choice ones are doing fine, all of the blue spark died. When I called Springhill to ask for their "guarantee" to replace the items, I was told my account was turned over to a collection agency and I couldn't get my returns!! I called Springhill and the accounting department confirmed that there was an error - all of my purchases were clear! (like I already knew that) He appologized for it, then when he asked me what I needed, he confirmed to me that he released the item for priority shipment that I was waiting on, then when he went to order the replacement for the petunias and rosebushes, he told me that I had too many returns therefore, he couldn't help me. OK.. now I've never had a return - I should have stated about all of the ground cover that was designed for "hard to grow" areas -never came back either - but I wasn't too concerned about those - i just wanted my current items shipped and replaced! I get put on hold for the billing manager - she stated your account is clear I'm noting it in the comments section, however, I cant release your items.. customer service will call you tomorrow and release them for you. SOOOOOOOOO I talked with customer service today, and their response - oh it seems there was an $8.72 order that was placed last year, on a "bill me" basis (ummm.. they don't have that option online - that's the only way I've ever purchased items) and that is the reason that my order can not be released. I told her to bill my credit card for the stupid $8.72 and release and resend my orders to me today! She confirms the payment, THEN tells me she billed it to the wrong person! NOW - they want me to call a collection agency and pay the $8.72 that they just billed to my credit card for someone else - then call them back to release and replace my order.

WHAT A MESS! They have NO IDEA what they are doing! When I asked to speak with a manager - MULTIPLE TIMES - I was told No!!!! I have only one thing to say - STAY AWAY FROM THESE COMPANIES! They have screwed this up ROYALLY!

Comments (35)

• annlenhen1978
    15 years ago

I absolutely love these places and have had no problems with them. 90% of my flowers come from either Breck's or Springhill and they are big and beautiful. My hostas have done way better than I ever thought and big and better than one I bought from a local nursery. Everytime I have had a problem with my flowers they have replaced them or given me my money back even if I had killed the flowers myself even if I killed them multiple times. I'm sorry to hear of your bad time but I don't think a place sure be judge by an issolated situation but how the majority of their business is done. They also give out awesome coupons that have saved me tons of money. They must be doing something right they have tons of customers and a HUGE business.

• florrie2
    15 years ago

I've never had any trouble with Springhill. In fact, they just replaced some geraniums I bought that didn't come up. Their plants have always been healthy and come back year to year. I think perhaps your experience was a glitch with them.

Gurney's, on the other hand are of NO use to me. Many of the seed packets I bought last year didn't come up, or were very late. I also got some 2-year old asparagus roots that actually look 1-year old, very spindly.

Just my $0.02!

Florrie

• Related Discussions

Ripped off by Breck's,,,,,,,,,

Q

Comments (61)
    This is a very old post but I want to correct the misinformation in the last post. Spring flowering bulbs will, and need to, start rooting as soon as you plant them. It makes no sense to say that they don't grow roots until February. Some will already be flowering by then. You plant them in the Autumn because there is still residual warmth in the ground which gets them started. If that were not the case you'd be planting them in the Spring. They cannot 'winter over the first year' if they don't have roots. They'd just rot. If you dig up a well established daffodil in September you'll see that it is already growing roots. 4 of Bud's plants were spring bloomers, one was a summer bloomer and one wasn't a bulb at all. It's also not true that 'everyone needs to dig up and divide at least every 3 years.' You can divide them if they need it. But it is not a hard and fast rule.
    ...See More

Reputable Nurseries to Purchase Plants

Q

Comments (27)
    Wooo HOOOO! The plants arrived yesterday .. but not until 5:30 pm (grrrr...) so we planted them straight away and am now just sharing my CCN experience. I apologize for the uncompressed photos.. I couldn't figure out how to do it on photobucket. May have to go back to flickr. One thing that annoyed me was as I have already mentioned.. they were on the truck ALL DAY in a box labeled LIVE PLANTS and it was over 80 degrees here yesterday. Included were a catalog, care instructions and a flyer. Nice! Here is how it looked inside.. everyone all snug and packed safely. Please note the far right plants. That is not the sunlight in the photo.. I think they were distressed which is why they went right in the ground with loving care. Ok.. look again to the left at the Aconcaguas. See how yellow they are? The Diablo Sweets looked like that too.. which you can see in the back of the right side of the group. Is that just stress of the travel or should I be concerned? Here you can see a pepper is already trying to make an early debut. Very impressed by that. So I am overall very happy with what I have from CCN as far as selection, price, turn-around time, shipping time (UPS needs schooling on what live plants are however)and packaging. I am not concerned about the wilt because I would be wilted too .. and they have already perked up from being planted, watered and a good night's sleep in their new beds. I am however concerned about the pale yellow pallor to my sweet plants. Any thoughts on what this might be and how to correct it? I am one to wait a bit for a plant to establish itself in the ground before feeding. I feel like I'm giving a baby a Monster Energy drink and it's going to freak out. If someone has an opinion I would LOVE to hear it! Thank you all, Erin
    ...See More

Show Off Your Breck's Roses

Q

Comments (65)
    Those are all very lovely. Out of my nineteen I bought six of them are dying and I will have empty pots when I pull them out. A plant nursery in town is putting their own root roses on sale tomorrow for $15 each so since I have 6 empty pots you know I must go check it out. I really wanted Grand Dame and Bella Roma and those are the two that are dying. They have both of those in stock so I must go get them don't you think?
    ...See More

Breck's is having their Rainbow of Roses (5 for $49) plus $25 off sale

Q

Comments (21)
    Mine from Breck's were Take it Easy, Violet's Pride, Cupid's Kisses. Ch-Ching, and Pumpkin Patch. From Springhill, I got the same except for Top of the World instead of Pumpkin Patch. From Gurney's, I got Take it Easy, Violet's Pride, Sunshine Happy Trails, Easy to Please, and Top of the World. I would actually have loved another Twilight Zone since it's an excellent rose, but I have high hopes for Violet's Pride. Obviously these three companies are interlinked, but it's interesting that each one was a slightly different mix. I'm happy with Sunshine Happy Trails since that one is new to me. Cynthia
    ...See More
  • mojo777
    15 years ago

I was annoyed this year by Springhill Nursery's customer service. I ordered several plants and three weeks before they were scheduled to ship I tried to cancel a single item, which accounted for about 10% of the overall sale. They replied that my order was "in the process of being prepared for shipment" and they couldn't change anything. I emailed back that they must have a very complicated shipping system, since the estimated ship date was still 3 weeks away, and was emailed another cold response similar to their first reply.

They then changed all the estimated shipping dates, moving them up a week... but this still didn't account for their inability to simply remove one item from the package. Unless of course they pack them all up and let them sit around in a box for a few weeks before mailing them.

Pretty lame way to do business, especially when there are so many competitors around. The irony is, I'm still looking to fill up my garden and would have bought more from them this year. Instead they've been dropped to the bottom of my list, and I'll probably never use them again.

• amerimat
    14 years ago

Well all my roses died 8 tree roses and about 15 in the garden , so is my neighbors , should I blame the nursery and request a refund, please be real plant die for manny reason , old age (some of mine) virus the rest of mine , the nursery did not send me sick plant, they were on auto watering system , I never pruned them when it was hot or rainy , it never freeze here , so should I BLAME THE NURSERY , no! plant are plant, as a gardner with a sustential lot 3 x $860 each is a lot of plant since you said last year alone.....implying! look like you are either very unlucky or need a professionl gardener advice. I bought from all 3 of them in the past 20 years I have yet to find ground for complaint. 2 of my Westies past away from old age , should I ask the breeder for a refund , My volvo has 150 000 miles should I request a replacement .

• Pagney_aol_com
    13 years ago

I have never had any problems with Brecks or Springhill. My only complaint is that Springhill will not bill me the way that Brecks has always done. There are certain shrubs that I could get from Springhill but don't want to pay 200.00 up front....would rather pay later. I am , however, waiting to see if the Iris' I purchased last year from Brecks are going to come up. So far nothing is peeping out.

bill rauh

• worthy1117_hotmail_com
    13 years ago

Hi. Happen to come across your "problem" tonight as I was getting into Breck's to order more on-line. I have been ordering from both Brecks and Springhill for over 12 years. I have to say, I have never had a problem with either of them. I noticed the date on your posting so I hope you have had better luck. I'm going to go to my Breck's acct. and order some more!

• ROBEARHART1_COMCAST_NET
    12 years ago

i have SEVERAL PROBLEMS WITH BRECKS BULBS, I NEVER GET WHAT I ORDER ALWAYS THE WRONG COLOR THEN HAVE TO WAIT ANOTHER WHOLE YEAR FOR A REPLACEMENT BUT THEY HAVE ALWAYS MADE IT RIGHT

• yuliyaherself
    8 years ago

I have great experience with Brecks, Michigan bulbs and Springhill. My garden located in North Carolina zone 8. Since place I live located close to water - we get flood about once per year. The flood stays for about 3-4 days and covers all plants and flowers. This was my main concern for having garden and flowers but I risked and placed multiple orders with mentioned companies. I noticed that shrubs like Lilacs did not made it this year. Probably due to PH balance of soil. Very unfortunate but I called customer service and got refund for lilacs. I know that it is not the fault of companies that sold it to me online because other lilacs that I purchased at Wal-Mart and Lowe's did not make it either. It was so much more convenient to get refund with Springhill that with local retailers. I am pleased with those companies. Also, I had few other plants that did not make it second year. I got refunded by Brecks and New plants were reshipped to me without extra charge. I become a fan of Brecks. It seems like their flower bulbs are top quality. They are very strong and produce amazing flowers. For example, last year I planted a bulb of a Tango Lily. This year that one bulb has about 7 new plants instead of just one. Very impressive strong plant developed out of just one bulb. I will certainly order many plants and deal with mentioned companies. For me it is perfect way to shop for gorgeous flowers, plants and garden supplies. The customer service is very knowledgeable and polite. Looking forward to order more unique flowers this spring.

Very satisfied customer!

• Marg jc
    8 years ago

I would recommend Breck's to anyone as I have purchased bulbs & plants from Breck's for a few years now & have had no problems. My dtr-in-law got me hooked. She was a novice gardener who bought hundreds of $ worth of plants from them & renovated her whole yard. She did say on one occasion she had a problem & complained & they gave her a credit - no arguing. Other than that, no complaints.

Last year I ordered a few hostas from Breck's and since they weren't shipped until May they were very slow to grow (it was already too hot here for them) but they survived & this year they are making up for it - they are lush & lovely. Lily bulbs I got from Breck's grew right away & this year they are going great - have made several extra bulblets (lilies are good at that!) - can't wait for those gorgeous blooms.

Personally, I would not order "hardwood" plants/shrubs (roses, etc.) by mail as you should look the plant over well yourself. If you want roses to thrive choose strong looking potted plants (but not too root-bound!). Ideally look for 3 main stems coming off the bud-union. Bare-root bushes lose a lot of vitality sitting around in a box or package of peat moss. And try to choose roses that were grown in a nursery near your area because they will be better suited to your growing conditions.

My only problem with Breck's is that sometimes their ship dates are pretty late for my area (zone 7) - as our summer heat is coming on sooner the last few years. Also the fall bulbs (iris) often don't arrive until our heavy rains so I have to pot them & baby them along until I can get them into the garden in spring. However, they survived & are now looking healthy.

Breck's have given me good customer service so I will continue to deal with them.

• spitfire60
    7 years ago

I guess I was lucky.. I ordered this year.. several didn't make it and I called brecks, they sent me what they had to replace and vouchers for what they were out of..

• vierlingj
    7 years ago

I have been ordering form Breck's for about three years now. I will not order from them again ever. Consistently, their plants do not come back the next year even though they are supposed to be perennials. Even their tulips. This year my spring bare roots were shipped in one bag and had all grown together in the bag. I managed to separate the 6 Geraniums, but the Bee Balm just kind of fell apart and what was supposed to be three plants looks like one with about 15 roots just laying there in the bag. The Carnations have flowers that have already turned brown and withered and some of them have yellow foliage as well. No more. I think i am just going to throw away the rest of the order that comes for fall planting as a reminder to myself of how much I despise their company and to never, ever order from them again.

• Barb Quinn
    7 years ago

I have been a customer of Breck's for several years and never have had a problem with them. Until this year! Last summer, I pre-ordered some bulbs with understanding that I would pay later. When they arrived, a bill came with them. I suppose I was not fast enough with my payment and received a bill with a $10 late charge. I did not realize that this "service" was billed on credit card like account which charged late fees every 30 days. When I called them, I was told I did not read the "terms" in the catalog. I paid my bill, but because of timing, I continue to receive late fees since there was still a balance on my account. My account balance is twice as much as the plants I ordered. It has been an aggravating nightmare trying to get this settled. I will never buy from them again!

• spitfire60
    6 years ago

I would not have paid the extra charges. I've never heard of late fees either. Talk to a supervisor or call consumer control. Do not pay anymore. They just don't get it!!

• spitfire60
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Send a letter in writing, via email. Send yourself a copy too. Don't pay another dime. Continue all correspondence till they get it. I once had a finger hut acct. I sent back some merchandise and it was a mess. After a year of letters it was resolved.

• Tammy Geddie
    6 years ago

Gurney's has the best strawberry plants I ever bought! I got the Gurney giant, and they were all at least the size of a golf ball or bigger. And so sweet. I had my patch for 22 years, and just gave it up this fall. It got to be too much for just me to manage. I also order from Springhill about every year. Their geraniums, good God I've separated and given so many away it's ridiculous but they are beautiful, and originally they are 17 years old!

• segura30
    6 years ago

I love them and never have had any issues with any of these companies.. Write a short message and mail it to them. Get the operator's name you spoke to on the phone, state the date of conversation so it can be tracked to a careless phone operator. Don't cry wolf on the internet!

• HU-639314504
    3 years ago

I just had a bad experience with Brecks Bulbs. They did not bother to properly wrap their plants so they wouldn't dry out in transit. They also sent me very small weak plants which did not survive the mailing.

The postman handed my box to me on my porch, so there was no time that it sat out in the heat. However the box he handed me was quite warm from his truck, as it was a warm spring day in April of this year. When I opened the box the plants were very small, the dirt they put in the "baggies" was not around the roots at all. Big bags, small plants, about 1/4 cup of dirt which was on the other side of the bags because of shifting. What else did they expect, for the dirt to magically stay around the roots with nothing to contain it?

I called immediately because of the poor quality of the plants and they told me to wait six to eight weeks before they would give me a refund. I carefully planted them in a nursery flat and now after over a month only two of the 18 plants I have planted in my little plant nursery have come up. They are still making me wait another two weeks before refunding me. Six weeks to wait for puny weak plants mailed with no dirt around their roots to suddenly start growing because I planted them? I will never order from Brecks again.

• HU-174158548
    3 years ago

Both are horrible companies with small, weak plants for the price. I have often received absolutely dead plants on arrival.

The billing practices of these companies however, would be laughable if it didn't boarder on criminal. Today I am absolutely walking away from them both...I believe they are the same company...the payment portals are the same and have the same issues, the area code to call for "customer assistance" is the same.

Today, Spring Hill stepped over the line though. I was making a payment for $75, the balance on on of my orders. There was a second order, more recent (one where I haven't even received most of the plants yet) Spring Hill took not only the $75 I was intending to pay, but the extra $150 for the order which had not be fulfilled yet. I did not approve this and there was no, confirmation page. When I called "Customer Service" I was told that I could not have the extra charges reversed, becuase...get this, "They have already been paid." So...you take an unapproved payment from my bank account, apply that payment and refuse to reverse it becuase...you took the unapproved payment? WTF.

Luckily, I had an out, most of the plants from the unapproved payment (theft) had not been shipped yet. Cancel my order and you better refund me for that! After much arguing, I succeeded in getting at least part of my money back.

BEWARE.

As for Brecks, I've been trying to make payments to my account with them for 2 months. Their payment portal online says "no payment owed" and has no option for making a payment. Yet I receive bills with the amount i owe. I don't use paper checks or cash, haven't in 15 years. I have tried to make payments via the phone payment system their "customer serive" FINALLY gave me. The payments don't process. The money is in the account, the information is enter correctly, the payment just doesn't precess. Then I get collection calls from Brecks, "You need to make a payment..." I HAVE! The only way my payments to Brecks process is for THEM TO CALL ME. Again, WTF.

RUN AWAY.

• Mary Stuart
    3 years ago

What about paying for plants you never receive from Brecks? 4 days of negotiation and nothing. Now they will not respond at all.

• HU-473959367
    3 years ago

I ordered bulbs from Brecks they said they would be shipped on August 31st and still haven't been shipped. I called customer service and they said it was now scheduled for October 31st. We are already in the the upper 20s and lower 30s we'll probably have snow on the ground by the time they ship. I don't want to be planting bulbs in the snow. I'll never order from them again.

• HU-456635169
    3 years ago

HU-473959367, they ship from HOLLAND. You will not see shipping movement (with a tracking number), until they reach the port in the US. It is fine to plant blubs after it snows. Dig your holes and have them ready, then all you have to do is fill them in, when the bulbs are delivered. I know it's hard to wait, but they are at the mercy of the grower, and they will not ship, until the bulbs reach their quality standards, when growing. Blame Mother Nature. :)

• Donielle Stenson
    3 years ago

I've ordered from Brecks.Beautiful bulbs with no issues.Great customer service as well.

• HU-639314504
    3 years ago

Thank you for your warning. I wish I had seen it before I ordered from Brecks. I ordered from Breck's this year and ended up getting almost all my money back. The plants were abominably packaged in overly large plastic bags with a small amount of packing material. It was a total waste of time because I tried to still get those weak, too small plants going. Brecks made me wait for weeks and weeks to see if the plants would pull through before they finally offered me an exchange! What in the world? I demanded my money back and they reluctantly did refund me. I also ordered a big order from Springhill Nursery years ago and they sent me such pitifully tiny plants that most of them didn't make it. I never ordered from them again. I am an avid gardener, so I do take care of my plants and know if I received good plants or not.

• HU-745396928
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

I have not had a problem yet. I have been ordering from them for many yrs now. 2 yrs ago I did plant something I didn't see the plant flower. But that wasn't their fault, a rabbit made a meal of them. 😂

• HU-287041972
    3 years ago

Honestly, if you get plants shopping to you in the mail, some are definitely always going to die. Spring Hill and Brecks allow you to do the no payment until you're satisfied thing just as a way to move plants they were gonna have to throw out if no one ordered them. If you're not dirt broke, just buy the plants. Some will die, some won't, but you won't be dealing with this nonsense. Plus, any company is pretty likely to work with you until you're satisfied if they ship you something dead. No company that is legitimate should be guaranteeing that anything at all with definitely grow in your yard. People plant poorly, water poorly, fertilize poorly, it doesn't make any business sense to make yourself liable for that, unless you have a system for ignoring actual complaints and sending folks to collections. 🤷

• Linda Kunze
    3 years ago

I have ordered from all of these companies. I think they are owned by the same company under different names. That is neither here no there. I have always gotten my plants either reshipped, if available, and it’s the correct time to plant or they offer to resend them when the season is right. Or money refunded to me usually by check. I have never had a problem with them not making it right. I order lots ever year and if some don’t come back I just call and they make it right! Sorry you had such a bad experience!

• HU-352295473
    3 years ago

I have ordered from Brecks for years never any problem always big beautiful bulbs I’ve been very happy with them.

• Steve Griffin
    2 years ago

Could it be the complainants gardening problems?

• HU-315969839
    2 years ago

I have been ordering from Brecks for about 1`0 years or so now. I would recomend them to anyone. For me their customer service has been great. I was not pleased with the mixture of a Lily bulb mixture because I felt that there should have been a much broader color range. Yhe customer service ask if I wanted a credit or another shippment for the order. I had no complaint and now several years later the lilies are coming back each year and getting taller every year. I just placed another order with them today. Brecks has always done what they have said for me.

Phillip M. Rothrock, NC

• staciecapps
    2 years ago

I have always ordered my bulbs from Breck’s and they are always nice, high quality bulbs. Another good company to use is Gilbert H Wild. Plants will be small, but extremely healthy!!

• KittyNYz6
    last year

Love Brecks-they send me amazing bulbs straight from Holland!!! Good Service.

i ordered from Spring Hill before-good plants! I just ordered from Gurnsey’s-hope its a good rose whem it arrives!

i understand that if you order a large order $800ish it is complicated. A bulk of returns could be complicated and cistomer service “big companies “ have difficulty in general fixing it. I have never had more than a few replacements easier to track.

Wishing you all the best!

Happy Gardening!

• Angela Rowland
    last year

I've always had success with Gurney's. I bought 10 jumbo asparagus from them this year and they all came up within weeks. I've only just bought bulbs from Breck's for the first time this year, so we'll see how that goes.

• HU-206480989
    last year

They just lost a really good customer and showed how poor their organization and communication is. i would love to fix all that. Im sorry that happened, we need to be joyful about our flower orders. The company is NOT truly

guaranteeing their goods; very foolish, especially if they check your buying account. I had a debate with Breck’s this morning. A sales packet offerred BOGO peonies for $19.99. Since then, the price has climbed up to $22.99. Im not worried about the few dollar differenve, however, that is fraudulent advertizimg and it should be on them. Try Home Depot, as the season wears on they have some teriffic bargains. Last year, half way through the season, all roses were 50% off. Best Best, K. 💪🏻

• Marion J. Ince
    2 months ago

In early spring, I ordered about $750 worth of plants and bulbs. The bulbs were not to be shipped until August. They kept my money for five months and then tell me in August they are sold out. They cancelled four large orders of bulbs that I was planning to plant in large areas. I received nothing.

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz