SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nycynthias

What flowers do you grow in your potager?

nycynthias
14 years ago

As I have mentioned ad infinitum already, I'm in the planning/building stage of our potager. I have some various veg seeds started indoors, and have much of the material for the raised beds purchased and just waiting for us to have time to put them together...and, of course, for the snow to melt.

My bed layout is complete, including placement of the beds themselves and the individual plantings inside the beds. Now, what to do outside of the raised beds?

I'm looking for some ideas on what types of ornamentals and flowers to include in the border areas of my potager; these will be in-ground plantings and I'm open to either annuals or perennials. The main area in question is is an eastern exposture, bordered by an east-facing house wall and a south-facing picket fence. The foundation plantings are 1 Japanese holly which I have left unpruned, and about 8 or 9 assorted hydrangeas. I'd like to add a few Compacta Inkberry bushes as well since there's an air conditioning condenser to disguise.

Aside from the very obvious sunflowers (which I think would struggle there for lack of direct sun all day) and marigolds, which I have made space for in the raised beds as companions/pest deterrents, what are the flowers you most like in your potager? Pictures are especially welcome! :)

Comments (18)

Sponsored