SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mark4321_gw

Passiflora 'Mission Dolores' Propagation Frenzy

mark4321_gw
9 years ago

My Passiflora 'Mission Dolores' is climbing over the side of the fence. I decided now was a good time to cut it back and to propagate it.

For those not familiar with the hybrid it is P. parritae x P. antioquiensis, Carlos Rendon's hybrid. A while ago he brought a cutting in bud/bloom to a sale at the SF Botanical Garden (Strybing Arboretum). The flowers are 7 inches in diameter; the peduncles (flower stems) up to 2 feet long. Wow.

This is a picture of the plant at Strybing, growing in the trees. Unfortunately, it is now dead following December's freezes (27 F at Strybing?).

{{gwi:36216}}

Here's what my cuttings looked like initially. For some reason the photo strikes me as looking like less material than there really was...

After chopping them into mostly 2 node cuttings, with a few 3 node cuttings:

After further trimming the leaves (i.e. yanking them off manually). At this stage I counted 42 cuttings:

I potted these up in moist perlite (see the protocol at the bottom) after touching the very ends to 0.1% IBA (Rootone).

A "dome" (inverted plastic cup) on the top maintains humidity during rooting:

I'll follow up what happens to these guys, probably potting up rooted cuttings in 3 weeks. I'll donate a few successful plants for postage (hopefully--sometimes vigorous rooted cuttings don't make it): 1 for the first 5 successful plants, 1 more for every 10 after that. So 3 plants if I get 25 successes. I live in a borderline climate for this hybrid (or either parent) and I'm not inclined to send them to their deaths. Plants for postage will go for Sunset zones 15-17, 22-24 or the equivalent with a greenhouse. Such a greenhouse would likely already be full of cool-growing Andean species.

Here is a link that might be useful: Method for propagating cuttings

Comments (35)

Sponsored
Castle Wood Carpentry, Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County