SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
okielizabeth

Invasive weed w/ barbed needle seeds

okielizabeth
14 years ago

This is my first time posting here, though I have been reading for some months now. Wouldn't you know that my first post would be a serious one.

I have got a weed in my yard (Norman) that showed up in 2007. It's a bit flowered and not terrible looking when it's alive, but it quickly turns brown and prickly and the flowered bits pop open to reveal a globular group of seeds that can best be described as needles with barbs on the ends. They stick to anything that comes near them and there are 100s to 1000s on one plant. It's unreal.

I'm sure it's not uncommon and that someone around here will know what it is. At one point last summer I thought I had identified it, but I have been unsuccessful in locating that information a second time.

Oklahoma has been my home my entire life, but I have only been in a house in Norman since 2005. Before this thing popped up the first time I had never seen it before. I know that mowing isn't helping the situation and I have a terrier that carries the seeds *everywhere*. Any advice on identifying this and how I might get rid of it would be greatly appreciated.

(Glad to have found this place!)

- Elizabeth

Comments (15)