SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
wynswrld98

The battle to eliminate Salal begins - tips??

Wayne Reibold
13 years ago

Like many others here in the PNW I like Salal in small amounts but when it is attempting to take over your entire acre lot, enough is enough. It is growing right against many of my beautiful ornamentals via spreading. Numerous times I've chopped it down since some of it was as tall as 4' but it just keeps coming back. Also tried pulling up and disposing of major roots but keeps coming back. I have it in a lot of different parts of my acre lot but also have many beautiful trees/shrubs all over the acre that I don't want choked out by this stuff.

I did a search on this forum and only found one posting about digging it out. But realistically how much of it can you dig out? I'm guessing any of it left is just going to resprout so this takes me to my question if a combo of digging it up and spraying with something like a blackberry/brush killer might be a good plan. I realize I have to be very careful spraying any kind of herbicide close to my nice trees/shrubs but I can no longer take the maintenance involved with continually cutting/pulling the Salal just to have it come back so I want it eventually GONE.

I'd love to hear from people who have done battle with Salal and won. Unfortunately using a brush cutter is difficult due to the terrain so I'm looking for more suggestions that require elbow grease and perhaps some intense herbicide and just fight a long battle.

Comments (25)