SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
adayfromnow

Lavender & Rosemary. In or on clay (above septic tank)?

adayfromnow
17 years ago

Thanks everyone SO MUCH for helping me figure out how to amend my clay for those rich-soil lovers. Now I need to figure out how to, if I can, grow rosemary and lavender in the same area. I've researched as much as I can. I need your "expert" advice/opinions to make sure I'm pointed in the right direction.

I know these are very specific questions and that I'm asking a LOT of you guys. Please know that ANY help you can give is GREATLY appreciated.

These are the varieties I have:

Goodwin Creek Lavender - Lavandula Dentata

Gray Lavender Cotton - Santolina Chamaecyparissus

Rosemary (that's all it says... from bonnie plants)

I want them to grow to full size if possible. The research I've done indicates they all need relatively "poor" and well-drained soil, and that they prefer to be dry between waterings.

I guess my first question should be, if the soil is adequately drained, can I water them at the same level and frequency as the surrounding plants (some fescue grass, irises, daylilies, delphiniums, marigolds)? If not, I may have to move everything and make this my "dry" area. (I really want these outside my bedroom window!)

If watering is okay, I'm guessing I need to plant them in containers, or in raised beds, above the clay, correct? The place I want to put them is directly on top of a septic tank with an aerobic system. The aerobic doesn't spray here, that's just where the "guts" of the system are located. These are my concerns about the raised beds option:

1) Would the raised bed have too much drainage and cause excess erosion* around the tank?

2) Would either plant's roots affect the tank or any PVC pipes surrounding it?

3) In the event we needed to get to the tank (for pumping) would it be extremely difficult to dig up the full sized plants?

If raised beds are okay, how tall should I make them? If I need to use containers, how large do they need to be (for each)?

Thanks again, y'all, for all your help. I promise I'm trying my best to figure out as much as I can on my own. Once I get this Septic Area taken care of, I shouldn't be so scared of what to plant where, or so needy for your assistance.

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!

- Mari

* Does anyone have any suggestions of what to plant around the edge of the tank to help prevent erosion? It gets lots of sun. Obviously, I needs something with root systems that won't cause problems.

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting
More Discussions