SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jockewing

The Zone 8/9 Quandary

jockewing
16 years ago

Is there any one else here who lives in the Zone 8 - 9 twilight zone?

I live in Slidell, LA, which is just 5 miles across the straights leading into Lake Ponchartrain. We are classified as 8b on many maps but on others they put us at 9a. I think for the last several years we have been 9a. I don't think it's gone below 20 for a while now, and if it has it was very briefly. This past winter, I didn't see it go below 27 in my yard, which would make me 9b. My split leaf philodendron has not been frozen back in years, nor has my yesterday-today-tomorrow. My Meyer Lemon, Calamondin, and Kumquat have been untouched.

Isn't it frustrating that for 361 out of 365 nights we could almost grow any plant on earth but those 3-5 nights that those dumb fronts come down from Canada spoil everything. How I would love to be able to grow full size jacarandas and royal poincianas.

Are there any others out there who share my frustrations? On the other hand, I thank the lord everyday I am fortunate to be able to grow the vast number of tropicals and subtropicals that I can. I couldn't imagine living someplace like Chicago, or even Atlanta, for that matter.

Are there any plants you consider zone 9 "markers". I pretty much think that if you can grow real citrus trees outside you can be considered zone 9.

Comments (8)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH