SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ugsetta

Moldy seeds Aero Garden master gardener

15 years ago

Hi -

I searched the forums to see if anyone has had this same problem but didn't find any previous posts on the subject.

I have an Aero Garden that I've used successfully to grow the pre-packaged tomatoes and herbs. Thought I'd try my hand at growing my own seeds. The growing season is very short here so I thought I'd get a head start on spring. Each summer I save seeds from my flower garden, those are the seeds I started in the Aero Garden using the master gardener. That was a first class failure. I left two basil plants from the herb garden in the Aero Garden and planted coreopsis, purple cone flower, hibiscus and blanket flower in the master gardener plugs.

My seeds didn't germinate, and they got moldy.

I cleaned and bleached the unit, even put the roots of the basil plants in a weak bleach solution. Got it all put back together and tried again. Same result. Moldy seeds, no germination. My plant propagation book said that coreopsis, cone flower and blanket flower germinate at 50 - 55 degrees, so I thought perhaps that might be the problem. But wouldn't that just make them not germinate? Would the constant water bath make them grow mold?

This weekend I plan to try one more time with plants that have a higher germination temperature - tomatoes, peppers, tomatillos.

Any insight?

Thanks -

Ugs

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Schlabach Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars16 Reviews
Franklin County's Reclaimed Wood Professionals