SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
imissmom

Impatiens niamniamensis, Congo Cockatoo

IMissMom
19 years ago

Hello,

I'm wondering if anyone can offer some care tips for the this plant.

{{gwi:1000032}}
{{gwi:1000033}}
I ordered it online and rec'd it about the middle of July. It's a bitty thing (maybe 6-7" tall). I've been hard pressed to find much care info on this plant, other than it prefers shade (?) and likes the soil kept moist? (I'm wondering, though...'cause if I give it a really good drink, it seems to make the leaves wither and drop). Anyway, this one has done nothing since I got it, except drop a few wilted leaves. It appears that new leaves are growing out of the stem, but all appears frozen in time. I've tried putting it in front of a bright southern window, as well as in the shade outdoors and it wilts and looks positively miserable. So, I have it inside the sunroom away from any direct sun, but good light. Maybe I don't have it in the right kind of soil? I'm wondering if it needs a more soil-less formula...like peat/bark/perlite?

And what about fertilizer? The few posts I find on this claim it's SO EASY to grow and they have all these wonderful blooms...I'm just hoping to keep it alive! Can someone help?

Thanks

Kathryn

Comments (10)

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor