SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nenadrew

Insects in dried rose petals

nenadrew
20 years ago

Last year was my first real attempt at drying herbs and flowers. The results were somewhat mixed, but I'm still experimenting and was so glad to find this forum.

I saved lots of rose petals last summer, tossing them into an open basket and stirring through them every day until they were completely dry; after that they were stored in a large plastic bin with a tight lid. In the fall I opened the bin to make potpourri and found all my lovely petals had been eaten to pieces!

Though I went through them virtually petal by petal, shook them in a strainer and examined them with a magnifying glass, I never found the culprit. Every petal was riddled with pin-prick sized holes and the bottom of the bin was covered with tiny black dots (frass?). Out of roughly 3 gallons of roses I was not left with one usable petal. Broke my heart.

Now my roses are blooming again and I'm collecting petals, but I certainly don't want a repeat of last year's disaster. Any words of wisdom on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Nena

Comments (13)

Sponsored