SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
northerner_on

Help with Sowing Annual Poppies in Zone 5

northerner_on
15 years ago

Hello everyone:

Would someone please post some definitive instructions on this subject? I love these plants and want mine to be beautiful this year. The first poppies I grew were California Poppies. I wintersowed them, transplanted them into the ground, they grew and bloomed beautifully. Last year I had Somniferum poppies, Allegro, and Flanders poppy and decided to follow suit. Germination was very poor, and of the few I transplanted all but one plant died! I did have time, so I re-sowed them in May and they did well. Sowing in spring is not my favourite option as I always have to weed and cultivate before I can plant. This year I have two shades of Peony Poppy, Angel's Choir, and Somniferum. If you have ever grown these successfully will you please tell me how? Even if it was in Fall, I'd like to know because I can save the info. for next Fall. What about thinning? What should their spacing be? My perennial poppies are very close together and they really put on a fine show. I am running behind this year, just about to start my WSing and would like some guidance. Thank you all.

Northerner.

Comments (11)

Sponsored
Castle Wood Carpentry, Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County