SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mamamermaid

Another horsetail reed question

mamamermaid
16 years ago

SO - I know all about horsetail (Equisetum hyemale) in theory. I have a bed on the north side of my house that gets just dappled sunlight. It also has poor drainage. I planted several horsetail there thinking that this was the perfect plant for the area. It performed really poorly. It almost seemed to be rotting -if that's possible for this plant. It had an initial decent growth then they all seemed to just stop...turned white and crispy in some spots...grew really crazy - not all upright and glorious like I thought. Th more I watered the worse they got! I started just watering them once a week and they seemed to do better, but not great.

I thought it might be a sun issue (although I chose it because of its ability to grown in shade), but I found that the part of the bed that got the least light was growing as well if not better than the part that got some.

I know this is just random guessing, but Im wondering if anyone has planted this in a non-bog bed and under similar conditions and had any luck. I'd also be interested in any thoughts or tips in general.

I must be the only person in the world who can't grow horsetail. lol.

Thanks, y'all!

Michele

Comments (16)

Sponsored