SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bearstate

Folding Leaf Behavior in Banana?

bearstate
16 years ago

I first came across nychinastic behavior in Acacia Alata, a plant that I have grown from seed. And only today, did I notice that banana leaves fold in direct sunlight, the opposite of folding leaf sleeping behavior which occurs in plants when the sun goes down or they become very shaded.

I had been raising my Super Dwarf in shade and when I put it out in the sun ....

{{gwi:418229}}

Bingo! All the leaves folded. This seems more to be photonastic behavior. But I also notice that banana leaves fold in the opposite direction from those of plants in the same family. Check out Bird of Paradise and Canna leaves and they angle upwards from the central leaf vein. In Banana, the leaves droop downward from the central vein.

If I put the Super Dwarf back in the shade, within an hour ...

{{gwi:418230}}

Voila! The leaves raise back up again.

Most people probably don't notice this behavior because their mature bananas are in situ. My potted banana can be moved about and the change becomes obvious. Check out most mature bananas in open sunlight and they have drooping folded down leaves. If they are in shade, the leaves are more open.

I can't imagine how the banana benefits since the leaves are just as exposed to sunlight in either case.

Comments (22)