SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
outinthegardenallday

Ensete maurelii (Red Abyssinian Banana) - first time poster

Good evening all. This is my first time to this forum.

I have a dear friend who has never steered me wrong with his plant recommendations. I saw his beautiful Ensete maurelii last August and knew I had to get one too. During a visit to Plant Delights in early May, I found a lovely plant and had it shipped up to me here on Long Island.

I've potted her up and wait. I've got her in a morning and late afternoon sun position. Plant Delights, prior to shipping, cut off all of her leaves. I've got one or two unfurling...lovely green and deep burgundy.

How shall I handle the plant for her first growing season? Should I just leave her be and let her do her thing?

I have a feeling that this plant is going to open up a whole new world for me. I tend to be a lily, daylily, rose, hosta gardener. But I was really drawn to this plant. And reading your messages on the forum has put a spark in me to try something even more exotic. Any suggestions would be appreciated (I plan on cutting the EM back in the Fall and storing her in the basement. I am not adverse to digging up and storing anything in the Fall as long as I know the end result is going to be a good one.)

Ciao,

OITGAD

Comments (13)

Sponsored
Haus Studio
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry & Design Studio