SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bdank_gw

Can I grow bamboo in the woods?

bdank
14 years ago

Hello,

I am in need of a privacy screen to block the view of my neighbors. I live on two acres of wooded land in Northern Virginia (zone 7). There is about a 30 ft depth of woods between my house and this neighbor, but it does not provide a dense enough screen to give us the privacy that we would like. In the fall/winter I have full view of their house/deck/yard. I was thinking of planting some sort of evergreen trees, but (from what I've read) most grow slow and don't do well in shade. I have recently discovered bamboo as a privacy screen option. But I have no idea which bamboo I should grow (if any). I'm hoping you can help me decide. This is what I'm looking for:

1) fast growing

2) a very tall thick screen (I would like privacy on my second story deck if possible)

3) can be grown in wooded/shaded areas

4) can be grown in clay soil

5) tolerates cold winters (zone 7)

Can you recommend the type of bamboo that might work for me? Also, I have a very large yard and don't care how much of it the bamboo takes over. But, the area where I will plant this is wooded and there is no mowing, so how far would I have to plant it from the neighbor's yard to keep it from invading on them? Can bamboo grow up through underbrush or will I need to clear that out before planting? And finally, how many plants would I need (planted how far apart) to provide a decent 100 ft long privacy screen.

Thanks for your time!

Comments (19)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH