SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
zendog_7a

Spotted Wing Drosophila and fruiting times

zendog
9 years ago

So about a month ago I visited someone in town who had a Celeste fig with ripe fruit and swarms of SWD all over the tree. Nasty! As I'm starting to put in cherries and berries, I'm wondering how the annual infestations progress and if I concentrated on earlier fruiting varieties might that help me escape the worst of it.

For instance, if I choose earlier fruiting raspberries (Prelude) and concentrate my efforts on the Spring crop would they be less effected by SWD than the fall crop might? I understand the cold drastically knocks down the population so there aren't many in the early Spring. Similarly I was thinking of Sunshine Blue for blueberries, but now I'm wondering if an early fruiting variety would be best. And for Strawberries, would June bearing make more sense than feeding the SWD population all summer long with everbearing? Of course I might get lucky and not have them find me, but I understand they are getting worse so it might make sense to take them into account when selecting plants.

I know I can reduce the plague by picking any ripe fruit and getting rid of anything that drops, but if I understand it correctly the little buggers don't even wait for the fruit to be ripe.

Thoughts?

Comments (20)