SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sbagcent

Toro 20066 bagging problem

sbagcent
15 years ago

I just bought a Toro 20066 mower. It seems like a great mower. However....when bagging, most of the grass clippings come shooting out around the bag intake area.

I don't mean just a few clippings, I mean most of the clippings. I've got the top of the bag properly installed in the slots on the arm handles and the bottom of the bag is resting on the mower itself. What the @#$%!!

What could be wrong? Have any other Toro owners experienced this? I bought this mower based on reviews and posts from this web site and no one has ever mentioned bagging problems. Can someone help, please ?!?!

BC

Comments (36)

• 1saxman
    15 years ago

Maybe it has the wrong bag frame with it or it's damaged?

• tomplum
    15 years ago

I've seen that earlier this year. They changed the bagger/ how it hangs and it leaves this nice gap. Try a strip of that closed cell insulation tape to fill the gap. Write or call Toro and see if they have a fix. I'm sure that they have heard it before.

• Related Discussions

Toro 20066 vs 20073 vs LawnBoy 10685 - help decide

Q

Comments (7)
    If history is going to repeat itself i have to say go with the TORO, they are tied with Honda for most reliable according to consumer reports. thay're also known as the best mulchers on the block. i know the lawn boy and the toro's are made in the same facility nowadays(i think) but still the toro's come with a better reputation. i own several lawnmowers, toro, craftsmen, weedeater and have owned even more over the years, snapper, ariens. i bought my toro (20016) almost 4 years ago and have been trying to kill it ever since...and can't. i'll never buy anything else, it has the tecumseh lv195ea 6.5 hp. hope this helps.
    ...See More

Toro vs Lawn-Boy (mulch vs bag)

Q

Comments (8)
    'Very similar mowers' Actually, not. The Platinum has the hi-dome deck, unique to the LB 'Insight' Series. The steel version on my LB 10684 has been a great mulcher. The LB uses a Tecumseh and the Toro a B&S with the same 6.75 torque rating. They both have 'Personal Pace' (LB calls it 'Sensa Speed'). Neither mower has a 'transmission' per se - the constantly-slipping drive belt and control mechanism is the 'transmission'. The box on the axle is a gear reduction and turns the axis of rotation to the axle, like the 'rear end' of a vehicle. The LB does use a different box than the Toro, and it doesn't have the greasable clutch housings at the rear wheels (these do not grease the wheels). In their advertising they claim it is a new-designed unit, so maybe it does eliminate the pull-back problems with Personal Pace. The hose port on the Toro is a gimmick. On mowers without it, you just direct the hose stream under the deck and it does the same thing. You have to tie down the bail to let it run while you hose it in either case unless you want to stand right behind it and get wet. I can't comment on the Toro's abilities, never having used one. Good luck on making your choice between these two fine premium mowers!
    ...See More

Toro 200018 recycler power problem

Q

Comments (3)
    I agree with fsrph, would look to the carb. There are literally hundreds of videos on YouTube showing how to service the carb. Likely it only needs cleaning, and not any parts. (Full rebuild kits for most of the carbs on Toros under $25) *However* it might be the governor is just gummed-up / stuck. So, before anything else, I'd try spraying carb cleaner all around the carburetor & linkage. Might fix your problem with $3 can of cleaner.
    ...See More

Toro recycler 20066 Please check your handle set up for me!

Q

Comments (3)
    I will try to reach him, from what I can see using the magnifyer on my computer on a Toro recycler image, the A shaped piece appears to be upside down. Tried using a regular wrench yesterday, but will damage the points on the nuts if I continue to do so. Somewhere in this house there should be wratchet wrench? I know what it looks like anyways, just not crazy about pilfering through boxes in the basement when there are probably spiders in them. I will try to contact him, we are all on school vacation, and see if he removed the handle. I went to Home Depot, but they did not have one in stock, and the lawnmowers were displayed 10 feet up. The manual has sketches, which appeared to support the upside down position as well.
    ...See More
  • sbagcent
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for the tape tip. I'll try it out. But I hate to have to modify a brand new mower, that I just paid $350 for, to make it work properly. Know-what-I-mean? I'm waiting for a response from Toro customer care. I may try calling them again today. Thanks again.
    BC

• sbagcent
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I talked to Toro customer service and they said they will send out an attachment for the bag that will prevent the clippings from escaping. I'll post how well it works. Toro customer service was suprisingly very easy and friendly.

• basf38
    15 years ago

I purchased the Toro 20066 on 8/9/08, after comparing the Toro to the Honda and Snapper. I am very pleased about everything this mower provides with one exception...the bagging. The clippings blow out the top right-hand side of the bag and there is not enough force to push the clipping to the back of the bag. So when bagging I am left with a trail of clippings and when I empty the bag I am left having to clean up the clipping that essentially plug up at the discharge chute. I went to the FAQ section on the Toro web site and they tell you "in the upper corners of the bag, there is a small plastic flap that will close off any gaps. When installed correctly, air pressure pushes the flap out to the frame and closes off the opening." This does not work. It is a poor design considering the mower deck is contoured and the bag fitting is straight. I am currently waiting for a response from Toro. I have used this mower three times and I am already pulling my hair out. This is design flaw. I have spoken to an authorized dealer/repair store and they have had numerous complaints about this issue. The service person even suggested changing from the issued mulching blade to a standard cutting blade. Several of his customers have recently done this but he has not heard back to see if this has solved the problem of at least getting the clipping to the back of the bag. If you are serious about bagging I would not recommend this mower.

• fredmertz
    15 years ago

I had one of theses mowers, when I took it back to the dealer complaining about grass shooting out instead of going into the bag. The dealer suggested I go down the street to a hardware store and get a roll of 2" duct tape.........I blew up and wanted my money back. He said we don't do that. To make a long story short after several calls to Toro they sent a rep to the house with a check for what I paid and he took the mower in his van.

• basf38
    15 years ago

Well, I received a reply from Toro Customer service. They are sending "a door seal kit that we are confident will alleviate the bagging issues you're experiencing." This should be interesting! A bandaid to correct an design error. I will see what this does, but chances are very high that I will return this inferior product.

• bobc_ga
    15 years ago

I also bought a Toro20066 this past week; brought it home ,set it up ,put oil in ,started it up and made 2 passes on a lawn which had been mowed the day before,seemed ok,"no load on the mower.
    Two days ago ,started mowing again,the Bermuda had grown only a quarter of an inch,about half way through a 5000 sq foot lawn,the Toro sounded like a "thrashing maching" ,finished mowing,cleaned the mower.
    The I read the post re the bagging problem,heck, that was the reason I bought a new mower,ie. to keep grass from blowing all over me when mulching and bagging!
    I have a Honda HRR 216TDA,less than a year old,during mowing either with the "mickey mouse" mulch plug or the bagger,would cover me with Bermuda clippings,have wear a dust mask,called Honda, "said take it to a dealer" I replied it isn't broke ,it's a design flaw!
    So bought the Toro and returned it yesterday to HD for a refund; the Honda will be given to one of my children who has a Fescue lawn.
    Looke at Snappers yesterday ,the local dealer does not recommend the new Se models; no Lawn Boy dealer here,so have to mow with a 9yr old White E210 until I can find another mower for the "wiregrass" her in Acworth.
    Thanks for listening

• basf38
    15 years ago

I received two small rectangular pieces of self adhesive foam from Toro. They even sent a schematic of how and where to place them to correct the problem. Did it work, nope! I returned the Toro 20066 and got a full refund after a few sarcastic remarks. I asked him if this is a new model year and he said the only change was the engine. I am disappointed with Toro for not correcting this issue and the poor "fix it" solution. This is not the only web site that has the same complaint about this bagging issue. Buyer beware.

• fredmertz
    15 years ago

I just came in to take a break from cutting the lawn so I thought I would see what's going on with the bagging issue for the 20066. I use a 19 year old Toro 26682. It's a bag only with the blade clutch and 4 1/2 HP 2-cycle Suzuki. It has the original bag and puts ALL the clippings in the bag. I guess they don't make them like they used to.

• PRO
    LM Interior Design, LLC
    8 years ago

I am having the exact same problem! So glad I found this thread. I will write to customer service also with the hope that they can provide a solution.

• thomas zurawski
    6 years ago

I know a neighbor that bought one of those problematic Toros last year and had the same exact problem. She called after numerous tries customer service at Toro and complained about that problem she also talked to Ace Hardware where she bought it and they would not do nothing for her she could not even return it. Toro finally send her a repair kit that would supposedly fix the problem. I'm an auto mechanic and I thought it was a joke when she asked me to help her put it on. It's simply was nothing more then a couple pieces of foam weather stripping that I install for her. I also installed a little extra I had in my garage to make it even a better seal. Did not work very well for very long all of the foam eventually came off and would stick back on again. I was about to buy a brand new Toro mower myself this year but because of that issue I am staying away from them. I'll spend a little more and get either a Honda or some other brand that don't seem to have that problem. So that is my solution as it was yours. Good luck with your are there more you purchased.

• chris briggs
    3 years ago

Thanks for this tip, Nicholas. I just bought my 22" self-propelled this summer (2020). Am having the same problem as everyone else on this thread. 1/2" K-flex to fill the gap sounds like a winning solution. Will give it a whirl tomorrow.

• Davin Brissor
    3 years ago

CRAZY. I do like three strips, and there it goes, leaving a grass trail. Im like OMG... i cannot believe the shoddy catcher. I mean this mower cuts great, sp is a back saver, but this freaking grass catcher BS is reallly pissing me off. I luckily still have my 25 year old Crafstman, and she is stretching out and ready for the NOD. lol. But seriously, i took the thing off put back on etc used on 3 diff lower/higher deck settings, um watched video tutorial on how to assemble grass catcher on Toro GCV160. I mean its ,making me feel stupid lol. But i dont know what to do next. My lawn isnt that big but im finding im emptying the bag 2 on each part, front, back side lawns. Such a waste of time and takees me an extra 40minutes cuz, usually ill have pop it on side slightly to scrape out grass, and now after only 5 uses, the blades are making a noise under. Im really annoyed. I'd say PISSED off, frm. Jarhead, so im not right to begin with lol. Any ideas? McGyver stuff i dont care bout refund now, i just want the thing to work. I agree, use the side mulcher and mow a little more frequent. UM ok. i HAVE , BUT sometimes time doesnt allow. So what im stuck. RECORD. design flaw. Id love to of been at that R&D meeting. SMASH.

• Davin Brissor
    3 years ago

TY Nicholas Williams. Much appreciate the knowledge and input. Thank you very much, I truly appreciate the share.

• HU-929814539
    3 years ago

My brand new (2 week old) Toro is having the exact same problem: more grass on ME than in the bag! The huge gap at the top is just crazy - what were they thinking?? I will try your tip Nicholas Williams, but I am very, very disappointed. They will NOT be receiving a favorable review from me.

• av8rts
    3 years ago

Just purchased a AWD 22” last week, same problem. Grass blowing out of everywhere. Customer service sent a strip of foam and Instructions. Can’t see the fix lasting very long. Looks like they’ve been having this issue since at least 2008 by the date on the instructions. Seems like this would be a good case for a class action?

• Mark Avila
    3 years ago

Nicholas Williams Do you have a picture of what you're talking about?

• Kevin
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Unfortunately I'm experiencing the same issue on my day old recylcer 21inch. It works very well except for the part where it blows grass in my face!

Edit: on one corner of the bag, where it attaches to the mower, the plastic piece was not all the way over the frame. Gap is a lot smaller now.

• Nicholas Williams
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Ok, here's a couple of pics of my lawn bag fix. So this is the second one I've gone through. The first one got worn out from always having to reposition it when I empty the bag. It tends to fall off and i have to dig it out and it eventually got torn up. Luckily this pipe insulation comes in a 6' length, so I have extra to work with. I stopped trying to cut a notch in it to accommodate the bag handle, now I just roll it up and around so that enough of it is covering the gap. Is it a pain-in-the-butt? Yes! But does it work, Yes. Will I buy another of these lawn mowers? Hell No! This is just a life-hack to get me through this annoying design flaw of this mower. And don't even get me started on the 1/4 turn gas cap that gets yanked off anytime I push the mower under a shrub or bush so then I have gasoline chugging out of the gas tank while I'm mowing. Who thought that was a good idea anyway? Enjoy the pics!

• Nick Davis
    3 years ago

Im having a similar problem with my Toro Timemaster 30". Only difference for me is the mower drops clippings out from the bottom instead of the top! Any time the mower hits a bump in the lawn (tree root or uneven lawn/divet, etc)..the bag bounces upwards just enough that the bag moves away from the mower and drops a small pile of clippings. Its EXTREMELY annoying to have to see it and go back and pick it all up. Ive resorted to using locking pliers to clamp the bottom bag opening lip to the rear bottom of the mower.

• HU-873090883
    3 years ago

Thanks very much for the great idea, Nicholas Williams! I bought the 6-ft long rubber pipe insulation at Lowes for under 6 bucks and cut a 1-ft strip to close the gap between the chute and bag frame. Not a single blade of grass shot out at me!

• HU-436443058
    2 years ago

Nicholas Williams you are a life saver. Have a 2009 Toro mower, bought a new blade and the grass/dirt blow up from that gap like a tornado now. Was covered in dirt after cutting the lawn. Husband just happened to have a section of Kflex insulation, tried it and it is worked perfectly. You should sell the fix to TORO.

• HU-209169216
    2 years ago

just bought one a few months ago. same problem. never would have purchased if I’d seen this. disappointed and frustrated after so long they’ve done nothing to fix their design.

• ssewalk1
    2 years ago

Absolutely incredible that Toro has not corrected this flaw after all these yrs . Its not rocket science to contour the bag frame to accommodate the rear door flap lol . Thank God my Commercial Toro does not have this issue , it would have been returned immediately !

• HU-82420465
    2 years ago

My story a bit similar but with a catch. Bought a 20379 from a large independent dealer that had been returrned; it was the only 22" front wheel they had and no more coming. Asked why returned but kid didn't know but said full 3 year warranty applicable. Tried out that day and stuff blew out everywhere, maybe 75% was bagged, called Toro customer service and the gal knew exactly the problem and would send me a gasket which I now have installed.;helped but not right.Toro tells me have take to authorized dealer which I did...two man operation and mechanic basically said "Never heard of this" and

briefly said try more basket material and really nothing can do for you. Called Toro back and they said try this place(30 miles away), called them to see if they are familiar with problem and he did not know of any such problems? I'm all cofused, it's obvious Toro has a issue but even if it comes to replacing I don't think want to chance....wish I knew how to forward all these comments to Toro!

• Nicholas Williams
    2 years ago

Try the 1/2" K-flex pipe insulation. Forwarding the comments to Toro likely won't help, sounds like they're already aware of the issue. Good luck!

• Chris Romanoff
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Here is the solution to the gap between the bag and my 30" Toro timecutter (model 21200). I cut the ends off of 4 tie wraps. I pullled the bag away from the metal support frame, I then taped (electrical tape) the 2 tie wraps with the flat side facing the mower. I did this for both left and right side of the bagger handle. The reinstalled the bag over the bar/tiewrap combo. In addition, I installed two plastic sleeves over the pins that hold the bag to the mower frame. These were loose on my mower. I got these small tubes from the inside roll of my dogs poop bags.

The end result is a very good, tight seal between the bag and mower. I'm certainly going to miss those grass clipping showers I get from the $1200 mower I paid for. (By the way, every mower I ever owned including the cheap Murrays never did this, whats up with Toro??)

• Nicholas Williams
    2 years ago

Sounds good. Let me know how this holds up after a season of mowing.

• Grant Whaley
    2 years ago

@Nicholas Williams basically your idea with zipties to ensure I don't need to replace the foam. It doesn't look pretty but it is getting the job done.

• Nicholas Williams
    2 years ago

Looks good, but how do you empty the bag? Do the zipties come off?

• Grant Whaley
    2 years ago

They are ziptied separately. So it just functions like it did initially, just with the foam to keep the grass in.

• uthuidos
    last year
    last modified: last year

I had the same problem with clippings shooting out from the top of the bag spraying all over me. If you place the bag into the slotted frame allowing the rear door to rest on top of the bag, as the bag fills with grass it gets heavy causing a horizontal gap between the bag and the rear door allowing grass clipping to spray everywhere.

The way to fix this is to do the following:

If you notice, there are two protruding black notches on the backside (underneath) of the rear door. Lift the rear door up placing the bag into the slotted notches. Now lift the bag (grabbing it from the very back) all the way up to the metal push bar all the while keeping the bag in the notches and then lower the rear door onto the bag. You will notice the protruding black notches grabs onto the bags metal triangle bar creating a friction fit pushing the bag into the lawnmower. When you start the mower the bag inflates and as grass enters the bag it pulls down on the bag creating a tight fit all around. No more grass clippings flying out everywhere!

STEPS:

Lowering lid does not create a tight seal cuasing clippings to spray

Placing bag into notches and lifting rear up to push bar

While holding rear bag up, lower rear door pushing notches onto metal bar.

Once you feel the friction fit, let go of the bag allowing it to settle into place

Rear door is attached to bag creating a tight compression fit around the lawnmower

• Nicholas Williams
    last year
    last modified: last year

Thanks for the post @uthuidos but my mower’s flap is not like that. Maybe you have the new and improved model where they finally fixed this!

Here’s what the inside of my flap looks like:

And here is what the bag looks like. You may have a different model.

I’ll check out the newer mowers at Home Depot and see if they’re like yours!

• HU-876086503
    8 months ago

Nicholas Williams ... Thank you for the great Idea!!! Just came back from the hardware store, where I had to buy about a '6 foot long insulation for a whopping $2.50, cut a piece wrapped on the bag, WORKS GREAT, Thanks again!!! I need to buy you a beer, or two...