SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_6353705

tecumseh 10 hp gas engine on standby generator - low oil sensor?

User
10 years ago

There is a Tecumseh motor on my 10+ year old Craftsman electric generator that has normally started and run very reliably when (occasionally) needed.
This time however I had a very hard getting it started...
It would easily fire for a few seconds if I poured a bit of gas into the carb but would quickly die no matter what I did with the choke.
I took the carb apart and gave it a good cleaning (using carb cleaner spray) and ensue all the ports/jets etc where open. There is new gas in the tank and it is freely running to the carb intake.
When I checked out the carb (more than a few times!) re-installed it there was no change in the operation - ie would start and run for a few seconds only if I poured a spoon full of gas into the carb...
NOW HERE'S WHERE IT GETS INTERESTING - I noticed in the manual that there is a LOW OIL sensor that if the oil level is low it will somehow stop the engine and won't allow it to restart - so I checked the oil and noticed it was a bit low so I topped up the level by adding a tea cup of oil to bring it up to "full".
- and lo and behold when I tried starting the unit it fired right up!
So it looks like low oil sensor was preventing the engine from running.
So my question(s!) is how does this oil level sensor system work - where is it in the engine - how does it work - and how can I diagnose/check (and even temporarily bypass) it, assuming sometime in the future it gives me a problem...???
Thanks and regards.

Comments (5)