SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
syordano

Achieving natural tufa texture

syordano
10 years ago

Hi everyone, it's my first time posting in the hypertufa forum, although I have been making hypertufa pots for a couple of years now. My first project ever was a large cast bowl (first pic) made of a 3:3:2 mix of peat moss/perlite/Portland cement. I wire-brushed it, soaked in a water/vinegar solution to balance out the alkalinity and applied yogurt/moss mix after it was cured to achieve a more aged look. It has taken over 2 years sitting out in the elements for the bowl to finally weather and take on a more aged appearance. It might have been sooner if I had placed it in a shaded area, rather than full sun, but I have no such area on my patio.

Currently I am using it as a water feature planted with a dwarf Helvola water lily, and I'm mostly pleased with the results - since the peat moss has likely decomposed, water slowly leaches out just enough to moisten the walls and encourage moss growth. Still, it does not really have the characteristically pockmarked appearance of real tufa, other than the few areas where larger pieces of perlite have fallen out.

I frequent the Brooklyn Flea Market, where I saw a guy selling miniature succulent gardens planted in old bricks and small very natural looking hypertufa pots (third pic). I didn't feel comfortable asking him to divulge his secret on how he achieves the natural look of the freeform planters, which are complete with innumerable potholes, channels and crevices, just like real tufa rock. This is not something one can sculpt by hand, and he seems to be producing them often in large enough quantities to keep a low price.

As my oldest hypertufa bowl shows, the decomposition of the peat moss alone indeed makes the walls more porous, but it does not really reveal such a densely potholed appearance, which is what I am lusting after (last pic is of natural tufa rock). I found some brief info on air-entraining admixes that add air bubbles to concrete in an effort to make it frost resistant for patios, but I have no idea where to get it, how to work it, or it if will give me that potholed appearance with hypertufa.

Does anyone have any tips or experience with making hypertufa look more like natural porous tufa? Now that I know that it is being done manually out there I can't stop thinking about it...I will also appreciate it if anyone has experimented and wants to share less common tips on making hypertufa look older faster (in terms of encouraging peat moss decomposition, other natural additives with fast rate of decomposition, texturizing tools, growing moss, lichen, making it look like limestone, etc). Thanks!

{{gwi:72585}}

{{gwi:72586}}

{{gwi:72587}}

{{gwi:72588}}

Comments (12)