SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
maggie_j_gw

Size Difference in Baby Rabbits

Maggie_J
18 years ago

I'm relatively new to raising rabbits and our does recently had their first litters since we got them. The first litter is two weeks old and the second three days younger.

Because of the extreme aggressiveness of the first doe, we have not been able to examine her litter as thoroughly as we would have liked. It now appears that she has nine babies. They are beginning to move around the nest box more and it is easier to see them as individuals instead of just a wriggling mass.

Two, or possibly three of them are HUGE compared to the rest. Is this normal? I there anything I can or should be doing to level the playing field?

Our second doe is more laid back and although she does not like me touching the babies, she is not vicious. There is some difference in the sizes of her babies too, but not as much.

If there is someone out there with experience with raising rabbits, please give me some feedback and advice. I have two good books on raising rabbits but neither covers this question, other than to say that there are sometimes runts.

Comments (9)