SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
diggerdee

Impulse buy - regrets already...?

So I stopped at the grocery store on the way home from work - yes, the grocery store lol. Don't laugh - I've gotten a gorgeous plant or two from there in the past!

Anyway, as I walked through the parking lot past the usual row of annuals in six-packs - marigolds, salvias, begonias, petunias - I saw what I thought was double impatiens. Since these can be hard to find sometimes, I veered over to take a look.

I was rather surprised to see that they were actual roses! Never saw roses in a six-pack before! The label said they were RoseScapes roses. They were miniature roses, and they all looked quite healthy, so I bit. And I bit twice - one six-pack of pink, and one of pale yellow. And then I bit my tongue when I got to the cash register and discovered they were $19 a pop, lol, but I guess really that's not bad for six roses.

When I got home I (of course) googled, and can't find much on them, but I WAS disappointed to find that the expected growth in one year is one to two inches! That's all? I know they're miniatures but I was hoping for more than that! They're only about 2-3 inches tall now.

So I have absolutely zero experience with miniature roses. Can someone enlighten me a bit? Is 1-2 inches of growth a season about average? What is the mature size of these things? I'm hoping they are hardy in my zone 6. If that is the usual growth rate, do people really put these directly in a garden? They're so darn tiny I can't see doing that, so I'll put them in containers for now, although most of my pots are on my half-shade patio.

Thanks for any information you can give me!

:)

Dee

Comments (21)

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars29 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus